.10

jeongin had grown as an only child, and he'd admit, it was kinda hard.

especially when your dad had left and your mom was a nurse which took any shift she could so they could have some extra money.

sometimes, when younger, he wished he had a sibling, though he thanks all the gods that his mom didn't give him any. jeongin wasn't the type to share anything - his mom, his house, his life. he was enough for himself.

but now, with both chan and hyunjin sitting on his carpet, jeongin wondered what would it be like to grow up not alone in that house, only his phone and sometimes the presence of felix around.

sometimes he thought that hyunjin was the closest brother figure he ever had.

maybe that was it! that was what it all was supposed to be, jeongin realized, looking at the boys sitting in his room busy avoiding each other's eyes, hyunjin with a phone and chan with a book, probably researching for the project. maybe it was meant to be like this: hyunjin, his brother, and chan, his future boyfriend!

jeongin couldn't stop his face from heating up, and feared they would notice, so when hyunjin found his gaze, he quickly turned on his laptop, opened google and searched the first thing he could think of.

it turned out to be bees, for some reason.

hyunjin crawled to where jeongin was sitting, frowning, and took a peek at the screen, then suspiciously raised an eyebrow at him.

but before hyunjin could say anything that could potentially and most certainly embarrass himself in front of his future boyf--- chan, the man himself spoke up, "how much do you guys are willing to spend on this?"

jeongin, flustered, instantly thought it had something to do with whatever he was seeing on his laptop, and immediately shut it closed, knowing full well that his cheeks were tinted red.

well, that surely should give the wrong impression.

hyunjin didn't help his case a bit, of course, squishing his cheek and laughing at him. jeongin sent him a warning glare, but hyunjin just held eye contact, like a challenge. he was just seeing some goddamn bees, geez.

he heard chan clearing his throat, "so?"

diverting his eyes from hyunjin, jeongin took some seconds to think.

"hm. not... much? i mean, i'm broke," jeongin confessed, suddenly feeling a little down. he really wanted to do well on this project, and if money was an obstacle, then he really should just accept that they'd get a really bad grade.

chan seemed to read right through him: "if you need help i can--"

"i-i don't care about the price!" hyunjin blurted out of a sudden, "just say what we have to get and i'll pay!"

jeongin lifted a brow at him. where was that attitude when jeongin had to lend him his library card because he didn't want to bother paying for one?

chan seemed skeptic, too, "okay..." he had his phone on his hand now, sliding his thumb through the screen, "how much then?"

hyunjin smiled darkly, "to define is to limit."

oh, damn. he was serious about this.

"hm. alright, if you say so..." chan said, still kind of skeptic, typing on his phone.

jeongin looked up at hyunjin. what would he gain with this? he never cared that much about grades anyway. was he trying to prove something? for who?

a sudden sharp ding came from his own phone, and for a split second jeongin thought it might have been chan texting him, but as soon as he grabbed his phone and unlocked it without hesitation, jeongin immediately recognized the notification.

it was a notification from his email, and the tiny preview jeongin saw of it was enough for his head to spin in all different directions.

oh, my god, this is finally happening, isn't it?

and it sure was.

as jeongin opened his email app, a sudden dread fell over him. which was pure rubbish. this wasn't a college application, it was a damn play role confirmation (a confirmation, of course, because there was no way in hell jeongin wasn't getting it), but it felt as important, like it had the power of changing his whole future (and it had!).

jeongin felt cold sweat in the back of his neck when he gathered the courage to open the email.

it only took a glance to confirm what jeongin already knew.

he was never wrong.

jeongin raised to his feet, squealing and bumping fist into the air, at the background he thought he heard another ding of a phone but didn't bother to check his phone again. he was so happy.

"i got it. i got it!" jeongin shouted like a mad man. but would you blame him? he was happy!

chan clearly seemed confused (and alarmed), but still gave him a warm smile and said, "oh, congra--"

"i got it, too!" hyunjin shouted, just like jeongin, and ran to give him a bear hug, raising him from his feet.

wait, what?