.55

once the curtains fell, and all of them rushed to the backstage, jeongin couldn't even remember why he was so nervous about it. he didn't even care any more, with hyunjin this close as the curtains fell on them.

we did great, he thought as hyunjin's face was back on sight, looking right at him.

the ridiculous hairstyle made his bangs fall in a swirl on his ridiculous face and jeongin was just so in love. maybe the magic of theater united them together into some sort of irresistible infatuation impulse, just like with pregnant women's hormones or something.

jeongin reached a hand to touch his face and leaned closer. hyunjin seemed to have the same idea, and it ended up with both meeting each other's lips on the way, the bond now completely unbreakable. jeongin suddenly knew that, if they were to separate again, there would still be some sort of force pulling his own mouth to hyunjin's.

through the kiss, hyunjin, whose hands instantly migrated to his waist, chuckled and hummed as if he was just about to say something stupid, but jeongin was quicker and deepened the kiss, annihilating any chance for him to speak. it only took a kiss for hyunjin to shut up, huh? precious information.

their heads turned as if in synchrony, still not breaking the kiss. jeongin's hand traveled from hyunjin's cheek to his stupid hairdo and tugged on it for good measure. hyunjin pulled him closer.

apparently, they were engaged on the whole making out thing a bit too long, since the next thing jeongin heard was the judges' choice being announced to the public. shit! jeongin couldn't even properly prepare mentally for the absolute, crushing destruction, the blow to his self-esteem, the end of his acting career, the shame he'd be carrying on his name for generations, the disgrace for---

"... directed by jeonghan and seungkwan in an unexpected hybrid performance!" a voice proclaimed through the speakers. "it's the first time neo culture high has been defeated!"

jeongin detached himself from hyunjin's face, completely startled by the turn of events. what? how... just how? what? that couldn't be reality! they had messed up lines and a mediocre (at best!) performance. that must've been a mistake!

but looking around, plenty of his fellow actors and staff were celebrating, throwing punches into the air and whistling victoriously. the only ones standing motionlessly there were him, jeongin, and a bunch of people with high-tech costumes and heavy surrealist makeup.

"... only, of course, because neo high has been disqualified!" the voice concluded.

oh. well, that made sense.

jeongin heard a sharp sound of a slap against metal and a pained groan, followed by an annoyed voice snarling, "told you so!"

"you didn't say sh-"

"so," hyunjin came back to occupy his whole line of sight, successfully unplugging jeongin's attention from the stray conversation of their adversaries. "it was a win, at least. despite... everything."

"yeah," jeongin enthusiastically agreed, the curls of his wig bouncing over his shoulders as he nodded. "you're a really good kisser."

hyunjin lifted a brow.

"oh, i mean!" jeongin could die of embarrassment already. "the play! was! uh... we won! yay!"

hyunjin chuckled and slid an arm over his shoulders, but before he could say anything, a boy came running towards them.

"ohmygodyouguys, whaaaat?" he exclaimed. he was a neo high student, if the futuristic costume was any given, but soon after a moment of looking at him, jeongin realized he actually knew the boy.

the boy was donghyuck! not only did he study at their school, but was also the responsible for the management of the drama club. what was he doing there dressed like---

jeongin gasped, "you."

the delayed auditions results, the constant change of actors, the abrupt changes on the story, all the headaches jeongin had to go through, was all his doings?

hyunjin let out a confused noise.

donghyuck just hung his head low, having the decency to look sorry. "i know..." he ran a hand through his face, smearing the paint. "yes, i betrayed you guys," he confessed.

hyunjin, by his side, finally gasped in surprise.

jeongin wanted to throw a punch to donghyuck's face. "why?"

donghyuck rolled his eyes, but it seemed to be more at himself than at them.

"neo high's drama club has been... struggling recently since our previous leader graduated. since we've been winning this for years, we kind of wanted to be sure, you know?" he gazed into the nothingness for a minute, "it didn't work out as expected."

jeongin beamed up, ready to fish for a compliment: "you mean, because our performance was so showstopping?"

donghyuck raised a brow at him.

"of course not, your play was garbage. we lost because mark played every character," donghyuck said, half-annoyed. "it wasn't my idea, for the record."

jeongin's shoulder fell at the sudden bluntness of the other boy. well, at least he was honest.

"but that scene..." donghyuck continued, "that scene! where do you guys take acting classes? your characters' chemistry was just," he kissed his own fingers in a gesture of delight, "immaculate."

jeongin was taken aback, "oh." looking at hyunjin and expecting him to also be frozen on the spot at the explicit validation of their acting, he was surprise to find hyunjin with a smug smile as he pulled jeongin tighter to his side.

"we take no classes," hyunjin proclaimed, "we're just that good."

donghyuck raised both his brows now, "oh? a natural gift, i see!" then he suspiciously looked both ways and took something out of the tight pants of his costume. it was a card. he whispered, "if you have any interest in transferring to neo high, i can help you."

jeongin didn't know what to say.

hyunjin took the card and threw it away.

"sorry, neo high is too far to walk." but hyunjin literally had a motorcycle...

"well, your loss!" donghyuck said, then frowned, looking at jeongin's team celebrating: "uh, i mean..."

with a wave of his hand, hyunjin dismissed him like a king did to a surbodinate.

as soon as donghyuck was gone, they both turned to look at each other. jeongin wasn't going to lie, it was perfect to be here with hyunjin and kissing him and all... but they literally won against a big school, and nor his mom or felix was there to give him a word.

then a sudden scream drowned any other noise in the room:

"you! bang chan, you are under arrest!"

it was seungmin's voice.