.26

monday came, and, to nobody's surprise, jeongin wasn't at all excited for it. the weather was cold enough to convince him into ditching school and staying in bed all day. it didn't convince his mom, though, and since a please, 5 more minutes! plea never worked with her, jeongin decided to get his ass off bed and face his reality.

the dread to meet hyunjin was also one of the reasons why jeongin hesitated on passing the front gates, frozen in place as he once again became a microwave of emotions at the memory of kissing hyunjin.

once he helped jeongin stand up from the floor after accidentally dropping him, hyunjin scratched his nape and tried to say a few words. after a long minute of messy stuttering (which jeongin couldn't help but say cute, in a serious voice, turning everything even more embarrassing) hyunjin suddenly yelled "CUT!" and dashed out the door.

it was evident his mom was somehow aware of his eventful afternoon when he took a glance at her face, but she didn't say anything. at least to him.

"what are you doing here perched like a bird in a branch?" felix sang cheerily as he walked with a spring on his step, a smile from ear to ear.

jeongin sighed, "i know what you're going to say. 'i told you so, innie, you like his attention!' or whatever, but that wasn't even a kiss! you know, like, maybe he was improvising and stuff or, like, i don't know! maybe it was for the play, maybe seungkwan added the kiss without telling me, which doesn't make any sense because i am the main character, not hyunjin! it... must be a misunderstanding, right? i mean, hyunjin doesn't think of me like that, right? or maybe there's another meaning for a kiss? what do you think?"

as he turned to felix, he instantly knew something was wrong. felix's jaw had fallen low, eyes wide looking at jeongin but seeing through him at the same time.

"wait... didn't she tell you--"

"OH MY GOD!" felix shouted, "you and hyunjin kissed? i NEVER thought this would happen? what the fuck? how did it happen? seriously?"

jeongin face-palmed, deeply disappointed with himself. shame on him to assume his mother also reported back to felix about his doings.

he started walking, trying to outrun felix, who was asking him all kinds of intrusive questions with no regards of the people around or the volume of his voice. jeongin just ignored him, his acting skills coming in handy at pretending felix was some street beggar demanding his attention.

it all crashed down when he bumped into a tall back, and he realized felix had been saying "there's your man, innie!" for quite a few times, and now he found himself face to face with hwang hyunjin.

jeongin, as always, went red, "hi..."

"hey," hyunjin responded back, seeming to take a deep breath before continuing, "are you... ready?"

jeongin's eyes almost busted out of their orbits.

"re-ready for w-what?" jeongin could hear felix's mouth morphing into a wide-mouthed grin. did he... want to kiss again?

hyunjin seemed surprised, "our chemistry project! weren't you obsessing over it the entire month?"

oh. of course. the project. jeongin felt so dumb.

"oh. yeah, of course. the project. how could i forget? haha."

deep shame crawled at his neck, twisting his guts. jeongin couldn't even bring himself to look at felix as they parted with a brief goodbye and followed hyunjin to the classroom.

the bell hadn't rang yet, but they needed a minute alone to go over what they were going to talk and the order which the experiment would follow.

jeongin fished the glasses out of a plastic bag, and hyunjin placed the powders on top of the desk. jeongin's fingers traitorously trembled slightly as he settled the glasses on the wooden desk.

"okay, so do you start or do i?" hyunjin asked, and before jeongin could think anything inappropriate, he looked up and saw hyunjin was pointing at the paper they organized for the explanation of the experiment.

"oh. uh... you decide. i don't mind." jeongin tried to mimic a relaxed shrug.

hyunjin frowned, but didn't press any further, "okay, then... i start. the rest are just scientific stuff and i forgot how to pronounce them."

jeongin giggled.

hyunjin stared at him.

the moment wasn't awkward, just... suffocating, like there would be no day after that, and the few minutes they had before applied chemistry would take forever unless jeongin did something. suddenly he had the urge to do something violent, like breaking those damn glasses and flip the teacher's desk, paint the walls with graffiti and take a shower of gasoline and light himself on fire, or just...

jeongin hurled himself forward, arms snaking around hyunjin's neck to keep him close while he also felt arms locking around his waist, mouth crashing against hyunjin's, lips grinding and a sharp pain from their teeth colliding--

the door busted open.

surprised, the both of them separated, but whoever had stormed inside the classroom could clearly see what they were doing from hyunjin's heavy breath to jeongin's blushing cheeks.

chan was at the door.

"huh," he spoke after a moment, taking it all in, seeming to ponder over the small distance between them.

hyunjin straightened up, looking taller by the second.

"what are you doing here? this is not your class," hyunjin spat at him.

chan just chuckled, "woah, calm down. i'm just here to give this," he unpromptedly threw a small transparent package of some dark powder.

hyunjin was barely able to catch it.

"thiocyanate," chan explained, "i found it in my bag when i got home. took it with me by mistake, i guess."

and, after giving a cryptic look at jeongin, he left, leaving the door open.

"thiocy-what? never heard of it," hyunjin scoffed at the open door, turning back to organize the glasses.