.12

"a girl?" jeongin shrieked, "you gave me the part of a girl?"

seungkwan looked a bit annoyed at him, sighing, "you brought this upon yourself," he tried to reason.

jeongin was having none of that.

"how could no one have told me i was auditioning for a female character?" he half screamed half whined.

"well, firstly, that was your fault for not paying attention. besides, haven't you read the script? it was so obvious, how could you let it pass?" seungkwan, seeing jeongin was obviously getting worked up with it, raised a hand and quickly finished saying, "and two, you just did it so well, like, it was shockingly exactly what we were looking for. we absolutely not expecting to give the role to a boy, but... well, that happened."

jeongin's anger was magically gone, just like that. he was on cloud nine, floating into another dimension again with the unexpected praise. he wanted to sit and force seungkwan to spit some more compliments at him, but he had to go straight to the point. the rehearsal was starting in less than ten minutes and the first rehearsal had to be perfect.

"but what is it going to be, then?" jeongin asked, puzzled, "are you gonna put a wig on me or something?" he snorted.

"actually, yes. make up, too." seungkwan promptly responded.

jeongin's smile whipped off his face, "what."

"i mean, the character is still a girl regardless, so you should dress as such for the role..." seungkwan paused and glanced at him, "unless you are not willing to play it anymore?"

jeongin almost choked on his own spit.

"noooo! what? of course not! i want the role, yes!"

"oh, thank god," seungkwan had a hand on his chest, holding his heart as if jeongin had just decided whether he lived or died, "because we had to turn down yeri and... she didn't take it well."

jeongin's mind blanked up.

he had been fighting for the role against yeri? yeri as in kim yeri? kim yeri, most popular girl in the whole school? the senior whom he was inspired to take off on the whole performing arts world?

oh my god. she must have hated him now.

but he got the role, anyway.

the bell rang and in no time the other students entered the room, ending his and seungkwan's conversation.

seungkwan stood on top of a chair and said, loudly: "alright, everyone, grab your scripts, take your seats, and let's start this!" there were a lot of confused and surprised noises throughout the room, people surprised about starting right away. jeongin was one of them, he thought they were only going to actually start next week, not a day after the role announcements! seungkwan saw their expressions and said, "come on, we're late already with the schedule because of the last minute auditions! come on, take your seats!!"

jeongin hurried up to take one of the scripts in the pile. no, they can't be late! rehearsals should be perfect and steady, with the perfect pace to let the cast memorize the lines and scenes altogether. there was no room for hushing and certainly not--

jeongin was so deep in his own thoughts that took a tug of the paper he was holding to realize someone else was already holding it.

he was going to let go and let the person have it... when he looked up and saw the last person he wanted to see in that whole school.

hwang hyunjin.

"what the actual hell are you doing here?" jeongin hissed, trying to not raise his voice. he didn't want to get a reputation yet.

hyunjin didn't seem affected by the harsh words, only tugged on the paper back, and jeongin almost let go, afraid the script would tear apart because of hyunjin being stupid.

"i told you i got the role," hyunjin stated like a fact.

jeongin squinted at him as if he needed glasses and hyunjin was standing at the other side of the room, not across the table. he pulled the script in his direction before he could stop himself. "you told me that wasn't true!"

hyunjin shot him a shit-eating grin jeongin wanted very badly to wipe off his face and just said, "yeah, i lied."

jeongin's blood was boiling. boiling at the point that he felt numb with anger, distracted enough with his own emotions that he couldn't stop hyunjin from snatching the script off his hands and walking away with the last word.

realization suddenly came upon him, and instead of trying to pierce his back with a glare, jeongin scrambled over the scripts to look at the characters and cast, fully paying attention to everyone's roles, not just his own.

and right there, right next to hyunjin's name, was his character's name and its role.

love interest.