𝚎𝚗𝚝𝚛𝚢 𝚘𝚗𝚎/𝚙𝚝 𝚝𝚑𝚛𝚎𝚎 - 𝚓𝚊𝚜𝚖𝚒𝚗𝚎

𝙴𝙽𝚃𝚁𝚈 𝙾𝙽𝙴/𝙿𝚃 𝚃𝙷𝚁𝙴𝙴 - 𝙹𝙰𝚂𝙼𝙸𝙽𝙴

I was rather surprised the shutter had opened. I assumed what the black haired man said about the camera being automated. I wasn't expecting anyone to be inside but apparently there was so everyone went into the CDC building. It was completely empty and Rick called out to anyone that could be there and sure enough, there was a man with a gun.

"Anybody infected?" The man asked.

"One of our group was. He didn't make it." Rick said to the man.

"Why are you here? What do you want?" The man asked as he slowly approached the group.

"A chance." Rick said.

"That's asking an awful lot these days." The man said. He eventually introduced himself as Edwin Jenner and said everyone could stay if they submitted to a blood test. The group agreed and brought all of their stuff in, Anita didn't have any stuff though, and the shutter closed. Jenner then led everyone into the main room where he revealed he was the only person left. Anita wasn't surprised by this. The world was dead. Jenner being the only one left shouldn't have come as such a shock to the rest of the group.

Everyone was then taken into a room where they could get their blood test done. Anita didn't really care what happened. She didn't care about anything anymore. When she sat down in front of Jenner and extended her left arm and he placed the needle inside, she didn't feel a thing. The needle prick felt like nothing. Her face didn't move a muscle. There was no reaction whatsoever. Just a blank expression.

When everyone had taken their blood test, they were all taken to a room where they could eat and Jenner had plenty of food to go around. Everyone was happy, laughing, eating to their hearts content and drinking wine, everyone that was except for Anita. She sat a little further back from everyone else at the table. She ate all of her food. She hadn't eaten since the day before but she didn't bother involving herself in the group's conversation about Carl drinking wine or Dale's tales of Italy.

I felt like everyone was trying to fool themselves into thinking the world was going to go back to normal. They were all laughing and having fun, telling stories but I just couldn't. My family died today. That's broken me into a million pieces. I wasn't going to laugh or drink. I never drank wine anyways. I wasn't allowed to because of my culture. I was about to leave after eating my food when Rick ended up approaching me.

"Hey, are you okay, Anita?" Rick asked as he sat down next to her. She looked at him blankly and nodded. "If you need to talk-"

"I don't." Anita said before looking away. "Thanks, though."

Rick nodded before looking at Jenner who also didn't look very happy so he got up and raised his glass. "It seems we haven't properly thanked our host." Rick said.