𝚎𝚗𝚝𝚛𝚢 𝚜𝚒𝚡/𝚙𝚝 𝚝𝚠𝚘 - 𝚙𝚛𝚘𝚝𝚎𝚌𝚝𝚒𝚗𝚐 𝚍𝚊𝚛𝚢𝚕

𝙴𝙽𝚃𝚁𝚈 𝚂𝙸𝚇/𝙿𝚃 𝚃𝚆𝙾 - 𝙿𝚁𝙾𝚃𝙴𝙲𝚃𝙸𝙽𝙶 𝙳𝙰𝚁𝚈𝙻

As I sat there next to Daryl's body, panic and fear began to set in. I had no idea what to do. There was no way I would be able to carry Daryl back. I didn't want to risk moving him and making his injury worse. I was planning on just sitting there and waiting for Daryl to wake up but after a few moments, that wasn't an option anymore.

Anita's head snapped up when she heard something. The groaning of muertos. She watched as two muertos appeared from behind the trees. They must have heard all the noise and smelt their blood from a mile away. Anita began breathing heavily as the two muertos started coming towards her and Daryl. She looked over at him and realised Daryl wasn't going to wake up any time soon.

Anita had to do something. She had her chance to die. If she wanted, she could offer herself to the muertos but that would mean they would get Daryl, too. Anita couldn't let Daryl die for her own selfish desire to die so she knew she had to do something. She remembered the knife Daryl gave her to cut his sleeves off so she quickly pulled it out before standing up and creating a distance between herself and Daryl so the muertos wouldn't get close to him.

Anita look a deep breath as one muerto came towards her. She tried to remember how her father and brother killed muertos. When there were just one or two, they would kick them in the knee to make them fall before stabbing them in the brain which killed them so Anita knew she had to do the same.

The growling of the muerto got louder and when it got close enough, Anita used her foot to kick it in the knee, making it fall to the ground on both knees. She then used the knife to stab it in the brain before pulling the knife out and watching it fall to the ground. Anita gasped, looking at the bloody knife before looking at the dead muerto.

"It worked." Anita said, holding back a smile.

When I killed that muerto, I felt like I had finally achieved something. I didn't feel as useless as I felt before. I was finally doing something. I was protecting Daryl and that was the only reason why I was killing the muertos. It wasn't for me. It was only for Daryl.

The second muerto then came towards Anita and she repeated the action, kicking it in the knee before stabbing it in the brain, killing it. Anita breathed heavily and fell to the ground to catch her breath. She just killed two muertos all by herself.

"Te amo, papá y Mathias" (I love you, Dad and Mathias) Anita whispered as he looked up at the sky. If she hadn't remembered how they both killed muertos, both she and Daryl could be dead. Anita didn't care if she died but if anything happened to Daryl because of her, she would never forgive herself.

Anita crawled over to Daryl and shook him gently, trying to wake him up but he was still knocked out cold. Anita could hear more groaning, meaning more muertos were coming. She got up and slowly went over to one of the trees, peeping over to see eight more muertos slowly headed their way.

"Oh my God." Anita muttered and ran back to Daryl, shaking him a little harder. "Daryl, come on. We gotta go." But Daryl was still passed out. Then she remembered another tactic her father and brother used. When travelling near muertos, they would cover themselves in muerto guts. It made them smell dead and muertos only fed on anything alive. Anita looked at one of the dead muertos and using her knife, she cut open its stomach.

Cutting into the muerto was one of the most disgusting things I have ever had to do. It smelt so bad, I actually thought for a second that I had lost my sense of smell but I had to keep going. I had to keep Daryl alive somehow. I owed him that.

Anita squeezed her eyes shut and groaned when she felt her hands touching the muertos' guts. She almost gagged, that's how disgusting it was. She pulled out a few guts and began smearing it all over Daryl's clothes, his arms, legs, neck and face. She made sure to be careful not to get any guts near his wound. If Daryl got infected with muerto guts, that would not end well.

Once Daryl was covered in guts and smelled very disgusting and dead, Anita looked up and noticed the small group of muertos slowly headed her way. Anita had no idea where all of his new found courage was coming from. Maybe it was coming from her motivation of keeping Daryl alive. Again, she could offer herself to the muertos and finally be free but there was no guarantee they would leave Daryl alone so Anita decided she needed to draw them off.

"Hey! Over here, higos de puta!" Anita called out, making all the muertos turn around to face her. "There we go. Come on. You wanna eat? You gotta catch me first!"

The muertos began approaching Anita and so she ran as fast as she could. She ran in the opposite direction of the farm so everyone back there would be safe. She couldn't risk anybody else's lives. Her life was enough to risk and if Anita died that day, so be it. She would have died with a purpose.

Protecting Daryl.