𝚒𝚗𝚝𝚎𝚛𝚟𝚊𝚕 𝚝𝚠𝚘

𝙸𝙽𝚃𝙴𝚁𝚅𝙰𝙻 𝚃𝚆𝙾

𝙸𝙽𝚃𝙴𝚁𝚅𝙰𝙻 𝚃𝚆𝙾

Daryl looked up from the diary and saw Danita had fallen fast asleep. He smiled softly and kissed her forehead before leaving the room quietly so he wouldn't wake her.

After reading that entry, Daryl couldn't help but remember that day on the highway, when he told her he wasn't going to leave Anita behind. He failed. He left her behind. Daryl should have died, not Anita. She died saving his life when all he wanted was for it to be the other way around. Now, all he was left with was his daughter. Danita was Daryl's world, his entire heart and soul. He wouldn't have been able to live with himself if anything happened to his little girl.

He failed to protect Anita but he wasn't going to fail to protect Danita. He was glad he was able to read through these diary entries with his daughter. He was glad Danita wanted to know more about her mother. She was barely two years old when Anita died. She didn't remember her at all. Reading through these entries, it felt like Daryl was living through all those years all over again.

After locking up the doors and windows, Daryl made his way to his own room. He needed to get some sleep if he was going to have enough energy to go out on a run with Rick tomorrow. He climbed into bed, sighing as he did every night when he saw the space next to him was empty. He wished Anita was there with him, showing off her beautiful smile and melodious laugh.

Just as Daryl was about to turn off the lamp on his nightstand, he saw the purple diary sitting there, practically calling out to him to read yet another entry. He knew Danita would not be happy that her dad read ahead without her but his curiosity got the better of him. Maybe he'll have to pretend he didn't read it when he eventually read it to her. Surely, Danita wouldn't notice.

Daryl picked up the diary and opened it up to the next entry. "Let's see what else was going on in that beautiful mind of yours, baby." Daryl muttered to himself before his eyes landed on the two words that started off the entry.

"Dear Diary..."