Chapter 2: Follow Me 2/3

"Where?" Jake asked, almost excitedly. Since leaving Brisbane clandestinely five days ago he had being forced to think for himself. He didn't realise how much he longed for instruction.

"Well, I can't let you stay here. I don't live far from here and I've got a spare room you can sleep in. The dog usually uses it but I think dog hair is an improvement on a park bench."

Jake nodded in agreement, "I'm... Jaeyun by the way" he said as confidently as he could to hide that he wasn't used to referring to himself in such a way.

"Jaeyun?" The man stated, "I'm Jungkook, the dog's name is Artemis and more importantly I'm tired and hungry so let's get a move on."

Jake followed the man and his large white dog. Jungkook was confident, well dressed and seemingly kind. He was grateful that Jungkook hadn't pried into the inconsistencies of his actions and had instead prioritised his well being. Jake was shaking his head at his luck as they made their way down an empty street. His pensive silence was only broken when Jungkook stopped him outside a 24 hour grocery store. "Want anything?" Jungkook asked him, "no, nothing." Jake's polite answer was met by a role of the eyes from Jungkook who handed him Artemis's lead before heading in.

It was odd for Jake, he'd left his phone on the bridge with his passport, he now was standing outside a shop without his usual distractions, instead he turned his attention towards the dog. She was large, white and fluffy. She appeared to retain the same wariness towards him she had displayed when he had emerged from the water. He reached out at the large lupine snout, to his satisfaction she didn't bite him but instead slowly sniffed him. While her actions were expected her eyes were locked on him. He felt she could probably detect the range of emotions Jake was internally spiralling through, gratitude, excitement, regret, sadness - he was a mess.

"Here you go" Jungkook emerged from the shop holding two coffee cups and a small bag with what seemed like pastries. Jake exchanged the dog lead for a cup and then received one of the pastries. Jake was immediately thankful for the warmth that was now situated in his hand. Sniffing the top of the lid he was greeted by the smell of a hot chocolate. It was piping hot and had presumably come from a machine. The smell of cocoa and sugar filled his nostrils. Jake didn't expect to be smiling so soon after he'd staged his own death.

Jungkook noticed the smile flicker across Jake's mouth, "c'mon, it's about four minutes walk" he said cheerfully as he began to walk away - Jake followed him into the night.

They had been climbing the stairs of the apartment building for what felt like an eternity. Jungkook had told Jake that Artemis wasn't overly keen on the elevator and he also deemed its use would make too much noise and thus wouldn't be overly neighbourly to those who slept next to the elevator shaft. Jungkook lived on the top floor of this apartment building, Jake exhaustedly turn to the face the "first door" he came to, door 131. "No" an exaggerated whisper accompanied a forceful tap on his shoulder, "first door ON THE RIGHT. 132!" Jake turned as Jungkook fumbled to get a key out of the pocket of the coat draped over his arm. Trying his best to be quiet, Jungkook open the door and lead Jake in.

Removing the lead from Artemis, Jungkook moved to turn on the lights. The apartment that was revealed to be fairly nice and modern with wood panelling. An untidy kitchen on the left of the of an open space which became first a dining area and then a living area with a sofa facing a television on the right of the space. Taking in his surroundings Jake saw what looked like a laundry room off the kitchen, behind the TV was a closed door and to the left was a hallway with one door in the middle of it and another at the far end.