Chapter 112: Howling at the Moon 5/5

Jake winced as he ran. The strong rays of light that bled from the setting sun blinded his vision. Everything was distorted, some things appeared in an intense bright gold hue and other objects could scarcely be identified in the darkness.

The city streets were laden with large numbers of pedestrians and he felt incapable of building any real speed with his movements. Despite this, the route he traversed seemed familiar and he felt comfortable that he would be able to get where he needed to go. To get away from what he needed to flee from. 

As his legs continued to run his mind wondered, asking itself the question, 'what am I running away from again?' He didn't know. The confusion ultimately stopped him and he paused besides a bus stop.

The sudden break allowed him to grow aware of his racing heart which he could feel pounding in his chest. It was worried - he was worried. 

A warm rush of stress overcame him as he forced himself to move onward, beginning to duck and weave through the crowds in front of him. As he moved he could feel his temperature rise uncomfortably. The heat seemed to be enveloping him from all angles and most noticeably from a warm belt of heat that scorched around his chest. 

With this increased discomfort, Jake failed to look forwards and the next thing he knew he had run head first into a large body of a man. Such was the bulk of the man that Jake rebounded away from the figure only to be taken in horror as he realised the man, who now blocked him, was his father. 

Jake tried to scream in fear but felt no sound release from his mouth. His father looked down at him but said nothing. Jake tried to look back as his father begun to open his mouth to speak but when he did it sounded wrong. 

"You have let everyone down Jake and worse than that you have let yourself down. You will burn everyone around you because you are a selfish deviant who doesn't know when to not put himself first." 

The words hurt and the voice, although wrong, sounded familiar but Jake was unable to figure out why. 

"You betrayed everything you learned and now you will hurt him for what? Lust" 

'Who's him?' Jake wondered a he stared back at his father. By the time he had processed the previous thought another part of his brain had remembered the voice and its owner. The voice belonged to his priest back home in Brisbane. It was warm and comforting, as it had always being, but now it was stating that he done wrong. This made him feel particularly uneasy 

"No" Jake replied in protest. Eager to plead his innocence at the accusation he was facing. 

"You already know you have done this - I am just trying to warn you to save yourself and those around you" The priest said.  Jake felt his gut move in fear at the statement that now stuck to him like a pin affixed to the shoulder of a shirt so that he was incapable of being shaken off, no matter how hard he had tried. 

He felt, reluctantly that the priest was right, that he had made bad and reckless decisions. Decisions that he knew better than to make.

But against who? 

Jake looked away from his wondering mind and back at the figure in front of him. His father, once more loomed over him. "No" Jake repeated, yelling as he spoke "You don't get to control me. You don't get to tell me I betrayed anyone, let alone you! You betrayed me!" 

This time his father's voice replied.  "You are a disaster and you hurt everyone you touch! You've ruined everyone."

'No' Jake tried to say once more but the voice felt empty and hollow - like he was unable to speak. 

"You hurt me. You hurt your mother, you hurt Taehyung, you hurt Jungkook, you hurt Sunghoon,  you hurt Jungwon and..."

'How does he know about Jungwon?' Jake asked himself. The question was so absolutely different in tone from the voice of his father. 'He doesn't know Jungwon' Jake told himself. That realisation showed Jake that his father wasn't all knowing and wasn't all controlling.