Chapter 46: A Little Slow and A Lot of Obvious 6/7

"They're really good you know" Jake whispered to Yun. They were stood, just off stage-left. They were watching two student actors, Kiya and Chiwon, portraying the characters Malvolio and Feste respectively. In the scene, adapted for the Director's chosen setting, Feste had being able to kidnap Malvolio, holding him captive in the stall of a nightclub bathroom.

"Indeed" agreed Yun, "If I'd gambled I bet that this isn't the first time Chiwon had kidnapped someone" she joked. 

"Or at least Kiya?" Proposed Jake.

"Hmm, maybe you're right - this does seem a bit familiar to them" Yun said as Chiwon began splashing water across Kiya's face to mimic something Jake presumed to be waterboarding. 

"To be fair the teacher has clearly given some thought on the dynamics - this play's got a lot of duos so they they all need  to be able to rebound well off of one another"

"I suppose you're right, although I'd imagine it was more Sunoo who chose the pairs."

"Why? Because he knows everything at the school?"

"That's underplaying it, he's literally got a cork board with all the couples in the school he either knows or thinks exist on it - he names them too. Then, and I'm not exaggerating here, he's got red string between people if he thinks there's cheating going on"

"Wow, that's..."

"A lot? Yeah, just a bit. He says to his mum that it's because he's going to become a journalist or a detective or a whip"

"A what?"

"A whip, the person who keeps everyone in line in a political party so that they all vote in the way their party wants them to vote. Blackmail basically"

"Okay..."

"Yeah, it's pretty odd."

"So..." Jake paused, "Sunoo's cork board am I...?"

Yun cut him off again, "No, you're not on it - yet!" She laughed as she preempted his question, "At least not the last time I saw it"

"Well, why would I be on it?" Jake turned as he asked to look at Yun who was smiling.

"Oh c'mon Jaeyun, you and Sung..." Yun found Jake's finger on her lips

"Not another word!" Jake ordered, "We're not a couple"

Yun pulled down his hand, "Okay, firstly, a little bit aggressive, you'll either be gay or a wife beater with that attitude."

"Oh sorry" Jake took a step back, embarrassed that he had acted so suddenly and physically to silence her, "And secondly?"

"Secondly, you might not think you're a couple but Sunghoon hasn't stopped staring at you for the past fifteen minutes."

Jake turned away from Yun to the auditorium. The cast who were not currently needed on stage were sat around the room. Sunghoon was sat several rows back in the seats in front of stage-right. Sure enough, Jake saw he was staring at them however when they locked eyes Sunghoon suddenly became embarrassed and turned away.

Jake suddenly felt a hand on each of his shoulders. "Awww" Yun said "you made him shy."

"Please don't tell anyone?" Jake pleaded.

"Don't worry, I won't. And when Sunoo figures it out, if he hasn't already, I'll make sure he keeps it to himself."

"I'll keep what to myself?" A voice came from behind them. The wings of the stage were dark, lit only by dim blue lights to hide any cast or stage crew from the audience during productions. During rehearsals however the main lights in the auditorium were on and thus people could see into the wings. Within the wings however, it was still rather dark and Jake had to adjust his eyes to make out the source of the voice.