Chapter 5: Try Something New 2/9

After their third lesson of the day Jake was invited to join Sunghoon, Jay and Heeseung for lunch. Despite the variety of food options available to them, the trio all opted for an identical lunch. Jake felt inclined to chose the same - the easy option. Pleasantly their choice was good and more than enough to satisfy him.

"So do any of you guys do any clubs or sports?" Jake asked the table.

"Well I haven't chosen any clubs yet this semester" Sunghoon was the first to respond, "I skate outside of school, so generally I just do fitness as a sports choice"

"Skate? Like on a skate board?" Jake asked, prompting Jay and Heeseung to snigger.

"No, no - on ice. Figure skating. I can show you on my phone if you'd like?"

"You win", Jay said abruptly to Heeseung, handing him a bar of chocolate from a pocket.

"Huh?" Jake and Sunghoon looked together in bafflement at the declaration.

"I bet Jay that Sunghoon wouldn't be able to wait until we'd finished eating before trying to show off his figure skating to you. Jay thought it'd take a little longer than that" said Heeseung through a smug grin that ridiculed his friend. Sunghoon, who had been reaching for his phone put it back in his pocket.

"Ha! Ha! Very funny - Pricks!" Sunghoon retorted to his friends' actions. "At least I skate out of talent and passion, Jay here took up cooking just to try and get with a girl"

"Woah, woah, woah!" Jay interjected, raising his hands to defend himself, "That skips out that she asked me to do it"

"And did you get with her?" Heeseung asked.

"Look it's not my fault she made a mess in the kitchen and wasn't best pleased when I scolded her for her inability to boil pasta without getting water quite literally everywhere" Jay said defending himself. "Then she hit me with a spatula, which resulted in me angering her further by questioning her knowledge as to why she had a spatula in the first place as it was hardly the utensil of choice for pasta"

"Do you get hit often by the opposite sex Jay?" Jake queried in a quizzical tone.

"It's not a wholly irregular occurrence come to think of it." Heeseung answered in place of his friend.

"How about you Heeseung?" Jake turned the line of questioning to the oldest member of the group.

"Dancing and singing out of school,  being a straight 10 - basic stuff" This response provoked a series of sighs which Heeseung couldn't resist agitating further, "Hey! Don't hate me 'cause I'm beautiful". At which point his phone chirped, "Ah, it seems duty calls" he said looking at the screen before beginning to almost inhale his remaining food.

"Yungsoon already demanding attention?" Sunghoon asked.

"Indeed" Heeseung murmured, eying his phone whilst finishing his water. He got up quickly and left.

Jay now turned to Jake, "so Jaeyun, have you got a girlfriend?"

"I literally arrived like five minutes ago!" Jake responded bluntly to the question.

"Well if you have any questions about not talking to girls Sunghoon can give you the heads up?"

Jake felt he had to ask, "Okay I'll bite, why the constant jokes about Sunghoon and his singleness?" The question resulted in Sunghoon hanging his head in embarrassment with his cheeks turning red.

Meanwhile a sly grin grew over Jay's face. "Sunghoon here managed to get a girl he liked to join a Minecraft server where he had constructed a... I don't know the word for it, a creation maybe, that spelled out the question 'will you be my girlfriend?'"

"So what?" Jake asked earnestly, "wasn't he like nine when he did that?"

Jay shook his head, still smiling, "he was seventeen" and burst into laughter. The ridicule forced Jake into a smile too.

"Well, what did she say?" Jake turned, directing this to Sunghoon.

"She left the server" interjected the laughing Jay, "Sunghoon always over complicates things with weird gestures that unsettles the poor girl he's trying to ask out"

"Anyhow!" Sunghoon said, his cheeks still flush, "Jaeyun should we go to check the boards after lunch?"

"Yeah man, that'd be great" Jake answered, allowing Sunghoon to change topic.

Sunghoon had escorted Jake to the boards where they now stood, inspecting the wall of pinned A4 sheets that displayed a wide disparity of handwriting ability. Jake scanned the wall and immediately went to use one of the pens hanging from a piece of string to write his name on a list for soccer.

Midway through writing his name Jake realised he should probably ask Jungkook for his permission as enrolling would require the purchasing of kit. Going on his previous actions Jake presumed Jungkook would continue his charitable streak but he recognised that he needed to be considerate and polite to the man who was helping him. 

"I need to ask Jungkook if I can do this actually" Jake told Sunghoon as he pulled a phone with a broken screen out of his pocket that Jungkook had leant him that weekend from his Man Drawer. His Man Drawer was a drawer in his kitchen that contained batteries, unread but supposedly important mail, various wires and old instruction manuals.

'Hi JK' Jake texted. He took a step back from the boards to join Sunghoon whilst he waited for a response from Jungkook. "Are you interested in doing anything?" Jake asked, not looking up from his phone. 

"You know, I've always wanted to act but I've never really had any friends who did it" Sunghoon responded.

"I'll do it with you if you want?" Jake said.

"You'd do that?"

"Sure, we all acting all the time anyway, pretending to be someone we're not."

Sunghoon chuckled, "I guess so", he moved forward to write both of their names down on the sign up sheet for theatre.

Whilst waiting for an answer from Jungkook, Jake scanned over the rest of the wall. "Hey Sunghoon, why are there two swimming sheets, a swimming team and synchronised swimming team?"

"That one" Sunghoon said withdrawing himself from the board to see what he was being asked to look at, "is for learning to swim, that empty one is for just general swimming in the morning - nobody does that" referencing the empty sheet, "And the other two are pretty self explanatory I think" as he finished Jake's phone buzzed.

"He said yes" Jake informed Sunghoon. Jake moved to sign up onto the soccer list. "Cool" said Sunghoon in response to the news, he was still looking at the swimming sheets.

"Jaeyun?"

"Yeah"

"Can you swim?"

_______

Jakehoon fanfic 1.2