Chapter 8: Let me introduce you to my new thing 5/9

The second day started in a similar fashion to the first however after the final lesson both Sunghoon and Jake attended the auditorium for the first meeting of their extra curricular acting activity. The school's corridors were already deserted as most of the students had rushed home. Sunghoon anxiously looked at Jake who nodded his consent, before pushing the double doors open.

The door opened to reveal a stair going down towards the stage. There were two sets of stairs running parallel towards the stage. Flanking both and in between the processionals were rows of chairs. It was Jake's first time in the room, Sunghoon too was not overly familiar with the space and felt a little nervous. The stage's lighting was off and the rest of the room was lit by warm light that revealed a spattering of pupils coalesced towards the stage. Leaning against the stage was a female teacher, leaning near to her was a boy holding a pad of paper.

Jake and Sunghoon didn't think they were late but the unanimous turn of heads that greeted them when they entered the room suggested otherwise. Awkwardly the pair headed down the stairs. The stairs were of the size that is often found in theatres, which is to say they are larger than regular stairs and users are forced to descend in an odd and unnatural stop/start fashion.

"What are you doing here?" A familiar voice, Yun, asked, surprised at their attendance. Before they had the opportunity to answer the teacher, a bubbly looking women in her 40s demanded their names. "Jeon Jaeyun", "Park Sunghoon" they answered one after another.

"Jaeyun and Sunghoon" the boy holding the pad said, seemingly marking something on his pad. Jake realised he recognised the boy - it had been on his behalf that he squared up to the bullies the day before. Jake nodded at the boy before he and Sunghoon were scolded, "If you are going to be part of this company you cannot be late, you are expected to be prompt" - they nodded in a show of submission rather then argue their case despite both of them believing they had arrived in good time.

"Please be seated" The teacher ordered them. They sat together and the edge of a row of seats, five from the front with six empty ones separating them from Yun. "Now everyone is FINALLY here, we can begin. We are going to be putting on a large show at the end of the term, if will be really fun and rewarding but it will be a lot of hard work. If anyone is not up to that then I would politely ask you leave."

"What is the show Teacher?" Asked Yun.

"Well, Yun, as I was getting to - we shall be putting on a production with a twist! Shakespeare's Twelfth Night but in a K-Pop setting" this news was met with gasps of excitement from the regulars. Sunghoon and Jake gulped in unison. Why every school drama department across the globe tried to modernise Shakespeare by give it an increasingly jarring makeover Jake felt he would never know.

"So to start with I need to you all to leave your books and get on the stage, we'll limber up. I want to see how you interact with the music, and each other - I want to inspect your personalities. I will then select what scripts to give you. You will then return next week - on time - and we will see if the parts fit".

The assembled students made their way to the stage and formed a loose circle. The level of awkwardness was palpable, with all the students looking awkwardly at one another. Sunghoon and Jake stayed close to each other in what was an alien environment for both of them. "We can back out if you want - I thought it would be just a workshop, I didn't realise this would be a full blown play" Sunghoon whispered to Jake. "Nah, dude - it's cool, let's give it a go. You know? YOLO" Sunghoon laughed at Jake's response.

"Alright everybody, don't be awkward - enjoy the music". The teacher called. Despite encouragement the desired effect wasn't initially achieve as the pupils gathered inwardly into small clusters. The music started, and though uplifting, everyone was still stood around anxiously. Gradually the students grew more at ease and some started to dance a little or sing along to songs they knew. A few of the students begun to try and perform parts of routines. Jake and Sunghoon remained shy, laughing and smiling at the other more enthusiastic students.

Sunghoon watched the students react to one another, he watched his friend, noticing what made him laugh and deducing that if he were to make people smile have would have to exude confidence, thus if was able to make people smile he would have to at least have the ability to be confident.

The song 'Kick It' came on and Sunghoon propelled himself forward. He was as confused as anyone by his sudden burst of confidence. He surprised by his knowledge of the routine,  this was was inferred as while performing  he kept asking "How do I know the choreo?" His smiling and laughing was infectious and a large grin pulled across Jake's face.

"How did you know the choreo?" Jake asked when it was over, whilst hitting his arm in a playful manner to tease his friend who shook his head as if to say he had no idea. Sunghoon's display set off several solo exhibitions of students taking to the centre of the room. Jake remained at Sunghoon's side until Sunghoon pushed him, propelling him into the middle of the circle at the sound of morse code coming through the speakers.

In the centre of the space Jake found himself with the boy who had been holding the note pad earlier - the boy gave him a confident smile. The choreography they performed was to an upbeat song called Crown. The focus of the performance was to be as cute as can be - the other boy excelled at this, Jake however was trying to remember the dance he learned his bedroom the year before.

____________

Sunghoon had thought it was going to be funny throwing 'Jaeyun' to the lions, he was very surprised to see he knew the choreo, albeit not as confidently as the other boy but was able to keep up. Sunghoon's smile grew and grew as 'Jaeyun' begun trying to sing along to the track. The performance was cute, 'Jaeyun' as Sunghoon was discovering was cute.

The dance ended with both Jake and the other boy sat on the floor - at the performance's terminus they were greeted by a round of applause. Jake was almost out of breath. "I'm Sunoo" the boy, Sunoo, leaned over to say to Jake. 

"Ja... Jaeyun" Jake answered, "Sorry, caught my breath". 

As they got up, Jake felt a touch on his arm, "thank you by the way."

Jake turned to Sunoo who was speaking, "for what?" Jake asked.

"Yesterday, people don't normally speak up" 

Jake smiled at Sunoo, "No worries dude, we've all got to look out for one another. You ever need help you can always ask me" Jake said, returning to Sunghoon.

"What was that about?" Sunghoon asked. 

"Yesterday I stopped him from being bullied - he was just saying thanks."

Sunghoon heard Jake's response. "You're cool Jaeyun". Before Jake could thank him or return complements - they both found a script in each of their hands. 

"Sir Toby" Read Jake. 

Sunghoon was squinting, at his, "Sir Andrew Aguecheek" the teacher said to him, as he struggled to decipher the words.

____________

The pair walked home together again. Passing the shrub where Jay had jumped out at them again this morning. Jake turned to Sunghoon, "yesterday you said you were trying to be a better version of yourself - what did you mean?". Sunghoon looked up at the apartment buildings they were walking past, "I dunno, more confident, better with people, more attractive". Jake let out a laugh, "more attractive? Have you not looked at yourself". Sunghoon blushed, it was the first time 'Jaeyun' had complimented him. "Do you think I'm good looking Jaeyun?". The bluntness took Jake back a bit. "Well, objectively - anyhow you seemed pretty confident today". Sunghoon thought about telling Jake why that was but he lacked the words or the courage to make the attempt.

"Yeah, I was trying to show off" Sunghoon stated after brief pause. Jake scoffed, "Show off? To who?" He asked.

"Uhh, to Yun" Sunghoon lied. 

_______

Jakehoon fanfic 1.5