Chapter 45: Date Night 5/7

"Thanks" Jake said to the receptionist as he passed over the pair of skates he had leased for the evening. Sunghoon kept his equipment in a locker on site so Jake had gone to do the lobby alone.

"You're very welcome" The reception said. She gave him a warm smile, "I know it's it not my place but I've never seen Sunghoon like this" she said. The receptionists was a fairly young women in what Jake presumed were her late 20s or early 30s.

The statement caught Jake off guard, "Sorry? Sunghoon? Like what?"

"Like how is when he's with you? Happy. Confident."

Jake gave a bemused smile, "I... uh - what do you mean?"

"Sunghoon's being skating here for years, he was always quite a shy boy when his parents used to bring him for practice. He could barely keep eye contact with anyone. Funny to think he now takes you here on dates."

"Dates!" Jake almost shouted in alarm. "I think you've got this wrong we're not... he's just teaching me how to skate"

Jake's denial made the receptionist smile and lean forward, "What's your name kid?"

"Uhh, Jake" he answered.

"Well 'Uhh Jake', I've just watch you two lover boys attempt to eat each others faces for the past half an hour, are you really going to try to tell me you're not an item?"

"But" Jake tried to protest but was cut off.

"Even before tonight it was kind of obvious" she said, leaning back in her chair.

"It was?" Jake asked, scratching the back of his neck nervously, a habit he had picked up from Sunghoon. 

The receptionist gave him a knowing look before turning a glance at Sunghoon who was arriving to join then, "What are you two talking about?" he asked.

Jake felt Sunghoon's hand grip his right shoulder. Blushing, Jake answered, "Nothing much" he said prompting a toothed smile from the receptionist. Jake made immediately to lead Sunghoon out of the building. "We'll see you next week. Thank you" He said to the receptionist as he hurried out.

"Have a nice night!" She said to the boys as they opened the door to the night street.

"What was that?" Sunghoon asked. Jake shrugged as if to say he didn't know what he was being asked. "Oh come off it Jake. What were you two talking about?"

"Uhhh, she thinks we're dating" Jake said reluctantly, removing Sunghoon's hand from his shoulder.

"She did?" Sunghoon questioned Jake. Sunghoon was clearly pensive about the assumption. "Well I guess this would constitute a date" he added.

"Oh don't you start too Hoonie, this wasn't a date, that was just ice skating" Jake said, laughing at his friend.

"Hmmm" Sunghoon mused. 

"What?" Jake asked.

"Well, may I take you on a date?" Sunghoon proposed. The request left Jake in two minds. He had agreed to, at least allowed for their relationship to grow from the friendship they had into what he now enjoyed with Sunghoon, at least when it was just the two of them. The flirting, the kissing - that was all pleasurable. Dating however was something couples did, the desire to do it represented more than just thrills, it would constitute an emotional connection.

Jake didn't know if he was prepared for having a that with anyone, let alone a guy. Despite the apprehensions running through his mind, Jake looked at Sunghoon and asked, "What did you have in mind?"

Jake saw Sunghoon's eyes narrow, like a hawk's eying up a field mouse.