Chapter 111: I Could Hardly Say No 4/5

Jungwon pressed his nose against the clouded car window. He was curled into the corner of one of the rear passenger seats, instinctively trying to contain what warmth his body could create after a day spent outside in the cold and the rain. Before they had set off, Jake had demanded they pack bedding to make the car journey as comfortable as possible. Due to this foresight, a heavy, quilted duvet lay over the sixteen year old, on top of that was a large, now sleeping, white dog which left only Jungwon's head exposed. 

Exhaling lightly, Jungwon watched as the vapour from his breath increased the fog of condensation on his window. The fog was so thick now that he was unable to see passed it, with the only clear part of the window being where his nose touched the glass. 

This touch created a sensation of coldness that the warming Jungwon quietly enjoyed. He had kept himself silent for the entirety of their journey out of Seoul so far, preferring to be alone with his thoughts as Jungkook and Jake bickered in the front seats. 

"But it's only just turned March!" Jake said in protested at Jungkook's suggestion of opening the windows to clear the condensation from the windshield.

"And I can't see!" Jungkook had retorted, winning the argument and pressing the necessary buttons to lower said windows. Jungwon kept his nose pressed against the glass when the retracting glass caused rubbed his nose as it slid into the door.

The breeze was strong and took a moment to get used to as Jungwon was reintroduced to it he felt his hair immediately blow back from his face.  The gale that Jungwon had spent most of the day shivering in was still raging. Cocooned by the warmth of the duvet draped over himself, Jungwon leaned his head out slightly to expose it to the elements. He enjoyed the juxtaposition between warmth and cold.

"Can't we at least have a vote?" Jake pleaded from the front passenger seat. "Shouldn't we asking what Jungwon and Sunghoon think before we freeze them?"

Jungwon turned to see if Jake's remark had been heard by the car's newest passenger. Sunghoon had joined them in the parking garage of their apartment building. At first Jungkook had seemed reluctant to allow Sunghoon into the car, positing that his parents might get angry if they find out he'd ditched school to go with them to Busan. It had been Jake's insistence that Jungkook be consistent with harbouring teenage boys that had swung it. Despite the argument against that course of action being that Sunghoon was facing altogetherdifferent circumstances to both Jake and Jungwon it was assured to Jungkook that things would be fine.

Since entering the car however it had been hard to tell whether Sunghoon was actually 'fine.' He had immediately latched onto his phone and had begun frantically messaging his sister, urging her to help cover him from their parents. She had seemingly insisted that she would help but Sunghoon had remained anxious and was still awaiting their response.

"They're already frozen" Jake remarked disappointingly at the lack of a response from the back seats in aid of his cause to keep the windows shut.

Jungwon smiled to himself at Jake's persistence to try and wrestle command off of Jungkook before turning back to look out the window. It was calming and allowed him to become one with his thoughts. 

The city outside was a mixture of the warm orange and white from the buildings coupled with the bright red rivers of break lights.  The colours blurred his vision - turning into streams of light that lead to his imagination. It was peaceful and slow there, where it was only him. 

He took the time to think back on his day. Its events nestled in his mind but felt like a pit in his stomach. The feelings of grief, anger and regret were still there and still strong. They were hidden but raw nonetheless.