Chapter 42: Intrigue 2/7

What's your dream Sunday morning? Breakfast in bed? Completing your morning tasks before noon? Historically Sunghoon had enjoyed lying in bed until his mother would come in and inform him that breakfast was served. This morning however Sunghoon was on all fours  looking for something beneath his bed.

Peering into the darkness he tried to make out  of dumbbells. He had owned a pair for a few years as a result of some physiotherapy he and undertaken. "There you are" he said to no one as he moved a shoe box to reveal them. Pulling them out from below the bed proved quite the endeavour as they kept catching on other items he had 'kept' under his bed. 

He was grateful that when he had shown Jake his room it had appeared tidy. As with all things appearances could be deceptive and there wasn't a draw or cupboard that wasn't a complete mess, the area below his bed was perhaps the greatest offender of this duplicity.

Lifting the first dumbbell in his right hand he remarked on how heavy it was. He used to be able to do a several dozen 'reps' with ease when he had last used them. Feeling the remaining strength in his arm Sunghoon would be satisfied with twenty.

What he lacked in strength, Sunghoon made up for in determination. Motivated by his desire to impress Jake he begun to lift. It was only half past six in the morning but Sunghoon was already embarking on becoming what he believed would be a new, better version of himself.

____________

"I don't believe it, he lives!" Jungkook called to Jake as the teenager dragged himself from his bedroom to the kitchen.

Feet barely lifting from the floor, Jake murmured a "morning" before sitting on a breakfast stool where he was then set upon by Artemis who forced him to pet her. As per usual for their mornings, Jungkook placed a hot drink and breakfast in front of Jake for him to consume.

This was done so Jake, often only half awake, didn't have to do too much thinking as he took on the necessary sources of energy from which to start his day.

Once Jake had begun eating Jungkook would sit opposite him whilst surfing the internet on his laptop. Jake was mainly focused on his food when out of the corner of his eye, he noticed Jungkook looking at him with inquiry. His eyes were hawkish, as if they were trying to work out what exactly they were looking at. Jake watched Jungkook's expression change from intrigue into delight and then ask "Is that a hickey?"

Jake's eyes widened as he felt a wave of embarrassment come flush over him. "I, uh, I  don't know what you're talking about" Jake lied as he unconsciously began to rub the side of his neck.

"Pahaha, don't play innocent with me Jake. Who was it? That girl who came to watch you at your game?"

"What?" Jake tried to remember what girls Jungkook could be talking about. Remembering seeing Yun with Sunoo in the crowd he guessed, "Yun?"

"Wait? That was Yun, I thought Sunghoon was the one who liked her?" Jungkook eyed him mockingly, "you can't be stealing your boy's girls"

"Wait. No.  What? It wasn't her" Jake said trying to defend himself.

Jungkook gave him a smile one might give having lured their prey into a trap. "Ah... then who was it?"

Jake slapped himself for his mistake, "Damn it!"

Jungkook begun to laugh, "Soooo?"

"So what?" Jake said trying to stare Jungkook down in a poor attempt at alleviating the interrogation.