Chapter 52: Pay Up 5/6

Jake left his bedroom. He was dressed in a comfortable t-shirt and loose fitting jeans, having figured that his evening would consist of lots of changing in and out of suits. Entering the living room he was surprised to see Sunghoon and Gi were there  talking with Jungkook.

"There he is!" Exclaimed Jungkook, as the three all turned to see Jake enter.

Jake gave a single wave to the two newcomers, "Evening" he said confidently to the room. He felt his temperature rise slightly in his cheeks on seeing Sunghoon - he was suppressing a smile. Locking eyes with Sunghoon he pointed a finger at Gi and tilted his head, with which to say, 'did you tell her?'

Gi obviously saw Jake's not-so subtle gesture and answered, "Yup, he told me."

Jake turned to look at Gi but instead heard Jungkook speak, "Told you what?"

"Oh come on Jungkook, you know full well what" Gi said back to him with a smile, "now pay up!"

"Pay up?" Jake and Sunghoon, both bemused, asked in unison from their respective positions across the room.

Jungkook raised the palms of his hands in a gesture of defence, "Steady on - we don't actually know who won."

"Won what?" Jake and Sunghoon asked again.

"Um..." Gi, rubbed the back of her neck in a fashion Jake recognised that Sunghoon had adopted, the same mannerism he himself was now prone to copying. "We may have... um, well... we're not surprised."

"Not surprised?" Jake asked, this time independently from Sunghoon, "by what?"

"You and Sunghoon" answered Jungkook.

"What do you mean?" Sunghoon asked.

"Look boys, you're not very subtle" Gi said, "I've known Sunghoon since he was in diapers and he's not great at hiding things, not least from me..."

"...And come on, the unsubtle glances, the long walks home - heck, Niki picked up on you two around two months ago and he lives in the internet."

"Niki?" Sunghoon asked quizzically looking at Jake in puzzlement.

"Some Japanese kid he plays video games with" Jake replied before looking back at Jungkook, "So what does any of this having to do with paying up?"

"We might have made a tiny little bet?" Gi said, making an accompanying gesture with her left hand.

"You what?" Sunghoon asked, astonished

"How much?" Jake questioned Jungkook.

"Ummmm... not too much..."

"How much?" Jake repeated his question more firmly.

"₩100,000 ($100)" Gi said sheepishly.

"Well what was the bet actually on?" Sunghoon asked.

"Whether or not Jaeyun, sorry Jake..." Gi said, looking suspiciously into Jake's eyes, "Would ask you out before Christmas. And, seeing as much as I love you, there's no way you asked him out - I win."

"To clarify, I bet that you ( Sunghoon) would ask you (Jake) out and Gi bet the other way" Jungkook said pointing in turn at both of the boys.

"Well I hate disappoint you both but neither of you have won because we're not dating!" Jake clamoured.

"You're not?" it was Jungkook and Gi's turn to speak in unison.

"Can you guys please keep it down?" Sunghoon ordered as much as asked. Closing the presently  open front door, "My parents might hear."