Chapter 7: How was School? 4/9

"So, how was it?" Jungkook asked Jake who was closing the door behind him. "Good, nice actually - a lot of friendly people and the teachers kept me on my toes even though it was the first day. - Hello!!" He kneeled to greet Artemis who had bound up to him.

"He said it was great" Jungkook said, this confused Jake as to who he was speaking to. "Was that directed at me?" Jake asked, pointing a finger at himself.

"No, I was talking to Niki"

"Who?" Jake inquired.

"Niki. a Japanese kid I play video games with" Jungkook answered gesturing at the TV. "It's internet gaming, you never know who you end up trusting with your life - could you imagine if real life was like that" He continued sarcastically. 

"Have you being playing games all day?" Jake asked his elder.

"Not all day! I cleaned the place up, and tried to work out earlier" Jungkook said, defending himself. "Alright" he declared, pulling off his headset and turning to take Jake, "tell me about the school?" Hearing himself ask the question Jungkook laughed and slapped his hand onto his knees, "damn, is this how it it feels to be a dad?" He asked to no one in particular.

Jake sat on the edge of the sofa, ignoring the second comment, "well I think as first days go it went pretty well, made some friends, settled into my classes - signed up for some extra curricular activities..."

"Oh, the soccer?" Jungkook interrupted.

"Not just that, Sunghoon and I are going to do acting and I'm also going to teach him how to swim... oh, I forgot to ask if you wouldn't mind buying me some swimming kit"

"Sure, we'll pick it up when we get your soccer gear. When are you going to need it by?"

"Thursday, I think."

"I've got my office cleaned up if you need a place to study, and I've ordered you a desk that SHOULD arrive tomorrow or Wednesday. Should being the operative word, I'm sure you know what delivery companies are like. You up for bam bulgokki tonight?"

"Again?" Jake had so far eaten the dish twice since coming into Jungkook's care.

"Yes - again"

Jake was reluctant to decline any suggestion from his elder so nodded. After ordering, Jake explained each of classes, the dynamics of his form and the initial group he had latched onto. He failed to mention the confrontation in the hallway with the younger boys. When their food arrived they ate well during which time Jungkook went to lengths to explain and detail the labours, toil and trials he had overcome gaming that day.

____________

"How was school sweetie?" Sunghoon heard his mother ask him, she had just returned with his younger sister. "Same as usual" Sunghoon muttered before correcting himself, "Actually no"

"Actually no?" His mother asked him.

"132's got a guy in my class"

"What? Isn't the man at 132 a bit young to have a son of your age?"

"It's not his son - they're family, but he's cool - Jaeyun that is, that's the boy's name"

"Why's he cool?", Yeji, his sister was asking, interested at her brother's appraisal of their new neighbour.

"He's open to things, we're going to try acting together". His mother smiled, "Oh, I'm glad you have finally found someone to do that with"

Sunghoon smiled, she obviously remembered how many times he had said he was going to try out for acting. He was introverted so building confidence was key before he became an adult. He was confident in his ability, no more so than when he was on ice but he was lacking in belief in himself. Maybe through acting and pretending to be someone who was confident he could simply acquire it through osmosis. "One other thing mum - please could I have some money to buy some swimming shorts?"

"But you can't swim"

"No, but Jaeyun's going to teach me."

____________

After dinner Jake had gone out with Artemis for her evening walk, the evening weather carried with it a chill that forced Jake's hands deep into his pockets and he allowed his neck to shrink into his collar. He hadn't yet got any headphones so he was alone with his thoughts, enjoying the sounds of the nighttime city. He allowed his mind to travel back to his family in Australia. He wondered how his parents were. Were they hurt? Pained by their son's death - he hoped so. It was his solitary act of defiance towards them, his lone act of vengeance. He did try to weigh up if they deserved the level of hurt he hoped he had inflicted on them. Previously he had concluded that his actions were fair, however, now he had allowed some time to pass and let his mind settle he did feel a pang of regret. 'If there had been some other way - I would have done that' he thought. Maybe he'd see them again, one day, surprise them with the man is was always capable of being. He quashed is anxiety and regrets, and took in his surroundings. He needed this; the new city, these new people, this new life.

Jake's phone buzzed, taking it out of his pocket he looked at the display:

*unknown number* 'Hey Jaeyun, it's Sunghoon - What time do you want to head to school tomorrow?'

_______

Jakehoon fanfic 1.4