Chapter 28: Do You Like Dogs? 3/5

Jake winced as he listened to Sunghoon explain to Heeseung the situation with Yongsoon, Donghyun and the Hard Drive. It was Tuesday afternoon and they were going to be late from play rehearsal but had agreed that Heeseung's well-being took priority. Yun had agreed to cover for them at the rehearsals so Jake wasn't overly concerned about tardiness.

Jake was impressed with Sunghoon for his forthrightness to Heeseung, he was being so up front about it all that it reminded Jake of himself. 'Maybe I'm starting to rub off on him' Jake thought.

Heeseung was noticeably pained at what he heard. The idea that his girlfriend of two years had used him to get at his family stung him. At first he was hesitant to believe Sunghoon, thinking that the allegations and suspicions aroused from Sunghoon's longstanding dislike towards Yongsoon. However each time Sunghoon would claim something Jake was on hand to substantiate it. Ultimately, despite not wanting to, Heeseung believed them. He asked to be left alone and asked them to go to their play rehearsal.

"That was hard" Sunghoon said once they had gotten out of earshot of Heeseung.

"Yeah man, but you did good" Jake said in an attempt to comfort his friend.

"Good? But he's hurt now" Sunghoon's face was quizzical at the origin of the compliment.

"He'd be hurting more in the long run if Yongsoon was able to continue to abuse his trust like this."

"I suppose you're right" Sunghoon said with a sigh, "still - this whole situation sucks"

"Hey, cheer up Hoonie, I need you in good spirits if tomorrow night's going to be a success"

Sunghoon smiled at that. Jake's plan to set Jungkook up with Gi was going to be fun at the very least. Jake however didn't have the faintest idea how to play matchmaker but he was looking forward to it.

There was an awkward silence that consumed the table. Jake sat with Gi to his left and Jungkook to his right, Sunghoon sat opposite him. All four of them were looking quietly at their food. The chemistry Jake thought he had seen when they all had coffee together was no longer existent.

Jake gave himself the courage to break the silence,  "So, Gi - how was your day?"

"Um" She allowed herself to swallow a mouthful of food, "It was alright I suppose - wasn't really helped by the rain"

"What about you Jungkook? Good day?" It was Sunghoon who spoke now.

"Um, I guess it was alright too, pretty uneventful" He responded. His answer didn't go anywhere and the four went back to quietly eating their food.

'This wasn't going at all to plan' Jake thought before he spoke again trying to provoke a question, "Gi, do you like dogs?"

There was a confused expression on her face. "What kind of question is that?" Sunghoon asked him, prompting all four of them to laugh.

"Hey, I was just trying to brighten the mood Hoonie" Jake defended himself with a sly grin.

"Oh my god - you call him Hoonie too! I knew I liked you." Gi remarked only for Sunghoon to hide his face into his hands in embarrassment.

"Hoonie?" Jungkook asked now, "Is that what you prefer to be called?"

"No." Sunghoon answered firmly. "These two just use it to humiliate me" - the answer prompted Gi and Jake to laugh.