Chapter 65: Wolf Pack 6/9

"Jesus Christ - who died?" Jungkook asked as Jake entered their apartment. The question, was a remark on Jake's appearance - his face clearly displaying the broken emotions which he would be unable to articulate with his words. Jungkook saw this and his expression changed to one of concern as Jake approached him, joining him on the sofa before curling up next to Artemis, burying his face in the ruff of her neck. "Woah, Jake - what's wrong? What happened?" 

"Everything" Jake said and that's when the tears begun. 

_______

Sunghoon walked through into the main room of his apartment. He was sad, dejected and despondent. "Sunghoon why are you back so late?" his mother asked her tone sounded pointed - like she was about to scold him. However, upon seeing him she noticed his demeanour. "Sunghoon? What's wrong?" Her voice immediately took on a far more gentle sound.  

Sunghoon pouted before simply embracing his mother. He closed his eyes as he held tight onto the woman who bore him. "I... I can't say - just... life mum. It's just so damn hard."

"Hoonie, you know you can tell us anything right?" She said reassuringly to him. 

"I know, but not this. But I do just want to say how grateful I am for you, and dad and even Yeji. I think I forget how lucky I am to have you in my corner - I don't know where I'd be if I didn't"

His mother, moved him away from her so she could inspect her son. Tracing her finger down the left side of his face she asked, "Sunghoon - what happened?"

Sunghoon shook his head, causing her to retract the finger. "Not tonight mum." his voice was still cracking. "It's..." he sighed resignedly "I'm going to bed"

______

Jake awoke to find himself alone. The apartment was still lit by lamps which were casting the space in a diffused light. Artemis was gone and so too was Jungkook. 'Gone to walk the dog' read the backside of a used envelope, 'text me if you want anything'. 

Jake wiped his eyes and sat up. Checking the time he guessed he'd being out for ten minutes but found it was closer to forty. Exhaling he felt himself reabsorb all the weighty things that he was absolved of thinking about when he was unconscious. The internal shift in him instantly made him feel heavy and slow.

He ran his hand through his hair and remembered the items he had been reunited with. Fortunately due to the standardisation of hardware, Jake was able to find a compatible charger in Jungkook's man drawer. He wasn't sure if his phone would still work but he believed it was worth a shot. After setting it to charge he put on the kettle and weighted for it to boil. 

Before it had finished boiling Jungkook had returned to find Jake sat at one of the stools at the kitchen. "You're awake then?"

"I guess" Jake said quietly. 

"Well - can we talk?" Jungkook asked, "If you want to."

Jake breathed out, and cast Jungkook a puppy eyed glance, "If you make the tea?" 

Jungkook laughed at being blackmailed into making them drinks, "Fine" he answered and walked around Jake to fetch a pair of mugs - insinuating for Jake to go on.

"Well, I don't really know where to start" Jake begun. 

"I find it helps to go chronologically" Jungkook said over his shoulder. 

"Well - uh." Jake pursed his lips as he resigned himself to saying everything, "I suppose I don't really know if I'm gay. I mean, I like Sunghoon but its hard to convey those feelings if I have doubts and I'm worried that's going to cause me to hurt him. That uncertainty has being exacerbated because well... I know Namil's your friend but remember that night when I almost caught a fever from the rain?"