Chapter 68: The Curtain Calls 9/9

Sunghoon bristled with pride as he received, along with his castmates, a standing ovation after their performance on Saturday Night. As expected, the final show had lived up to expectations and had surpassed the quality of previous nights'. The cast had had confidence in their performance that came from experience and so were able to control the stage with the actions. 

The feeling was made better by the knowledge that his family were in the audience. It was the first time they had attended something of his that wasn't figure skating. He saw them in the crowd during a dance number, smiling as they watched. Sunghoon felt proud that he had accomplished something new and had demonstrated his competence not least to himself but to them.

Also in attendance, although slightly separate from his family were Gi and Jungkook, who had come together to see the boys perform. 

The whole experience had been incredibly rewarding. The cast had built up a camaraderie over the course of the production that would count for something in the two remaining terms of school. He now had friendships that stretched beyond age groups as spending hours rehearsing with people a few years younger than oneself smashes down the arbitrary boundaries school creates with people's ages. 

The memories would last a long time and Sunghoon was thankful for that. The dance routines had everyone in hysterics during practices that had gone long into the evenings or the singing rehearsals as one of the male chorus and shown Sunghoon just how fun singing as part of a group could be. Shakespeare might have written Twelfth Night over four hundred years ago but the scenes were still fun to act and perform. 

As exhausting as the play had been Sunghoon was sad it was over. He was sadder still that the person who had given him the confidence to try out for the it in the first place was leaving soon. Jake had the same expression that Sunghoon had as they bowed, pride and relief. Seeing those emotions on Jake's face lifted Sunghoon's mood further - despite all the emotional turmoil Jake was probably suffering internally it was nice to see him enjoying himself. 

________

When they left backstage for the last time the cast were immediately set upon by their families. Jake laughed as he saw Sunoo and Yun similarly pounced, both going bright pink in reaction to their parents' lavish praises. As he walked out he saw Sunghoon receive hug after hug from parents and grandparents alike. Jake recognised most of them but the additional pair of seniors were presumably the two grandparents Jake hadn't met. He decided to make note of the sight of them, in their part they had produced the young man they were now congratulating. The young man whom, after Jake had resolved to leave him,  had spent the whole term growing in Jake's affections. Jake had concluded that the knowledge that his time with Sunghoon was running short had served to elevate his friend in his mind. 

Walking on, he saw Gi and Jungkook standing together away from the main crowd. Typical Jungkook - always a little too cool to stand right by the door. "Making me walk for my praise?" Jake asked loudly as he walked towards them.

"You were great!" Gi said loudly as he approached them. 

"The whole thing was seriously good. When you told me the premise I had my doubts" Jungkook agreed.

"Right? Who would have a thought K-Pop and Shakespeare would blend together so well?" Asked Gi. 

"RIGHT?" Jake heard a new voice speak and a weight land on his back. Sunghoon had leaped upon him from behind, tasking him with giving an impromptu 'piggy back.' 

"HOONIE" Jungkook and Gi said in unison.  "You were great" - they looked at one another, both surprising themselves by speaking in tandem. 

"Thanks guys. Um, my parents were wondering if you might like to join us for dinner. We're going to an Indian restaurant"