Chapter 54: Pigeons Amongst Cats 1/6

Sunghoon stared aimlessly out of the car window. The view of the evening city streets passing by as they were driven downtown. They had left Jungkook's apartment fifteen minutes previously after successfully having their bow ties affixed. Ultimately the learning process had devolved into an ordeal for both him and Jake.

Jungkook had gone so far as to raise his voice at Sunghoon and Jake's inability to tie the bowties. His teaching style however wasn't conducive to either of them learning the skill and in the end Jungwon had had to step in to tie them on their behalf, much to the embarrassment of both Jake and Sunghoon, neither of whom escaped derision from Jungkook for their failings. Jungwon had left after demanding a to be paid in a to-be-determined favour from both of the older boys.

The lights of the city's nightlife provided a colourful neon backdrop for their journey. Bright pinks and electric blues passed by and lit the inside of the car Jungkook had booked for their journey. The vehicle itself was an executive taxi of sorts, spacious and unlike anything Sunghoon had ridden in before.

"Let's run through it again!" Jungkook said. He was sat on the other side of the passenger seats with Jake sandwiched between him and Sunghoon. The driver was cocooned away with a transparent screen separating them.

"Again?" Jake asked, they had gone through the plan several times already, twice this car journey alone.

"Look, it's imperative we get this right boys" Jungkook said.

Jake's vibe was reluctant, however when Sunghoon had touched his arm lightly with assurance he responded in the affirmative.

The plan was straightforward. There was a senior legal executive who would be at the fundraiser, indeed it in was his company's building that the event was being held at. The Executive's name was Kwanhyuok Ku.

Kwanhyok had being producing contracts on behalf of banks that guaranteed the minimum sale prices of apartments around the country whilst also mandating how many apartments could be listed by a real estate company at any given time. This was part of a scheme to inflate the value of real estate, thus keeping the securities that the relevant banks held artificially high.

Sunghoon didn't pretend to understand half of it but Jungkook assured him and Jake that they were acting on the side of good. The boys' 'mission', as Jungkook put it, was to distract Kwanhyok whilst he infiltrated his office in order to gather evidence from which to expose the practice.

The distraction was based upon Kwanhyok's famed predilection for young, good looking boys. When Jungkook had first shared this information both Jake and Sunghoon had immediately tried to refuse their assistance. "I'm not prostituting you two, you've just got to hold conversation with him until I rescue you" Jungkook has said. Sunghoon had been reluctant but had accepted when he considered how money much he stood to make from the operation. "Besides, he'll be a useful contact to make" Jungkook had added whilst describing Kwanhyok.

"Useful?" Sunghoon had asked. The statement seemed out of place in what would otherwise have amounted to a character assassination.

"Yes" Jungkook answered, "Look on this whole event as a giant networking opportunity - that is your alibi after all. You will be rubbing shoulders with incredibly well connected men and women, making a good impression matters and could help you immeasurably in your futures."

"Isn't that nepotism?" Jake had queried.

"Of course it's nepotism, but welcome to the real world sunshine" Jungkook said with a laugh in his voice.

"Real world?" Jake asked Jungkook rhetorically. Sunghoon saw Jake's eyes turn to him through the medium of the drivers rearview mirror. "Nothing about this seems real to you right?"