Chapter 114: Overturning Stones 2/7

Jake's leg was trembling. They were sat in a sofa section that was sunken into the floor where   Jimin, who was sitting opposite him, poured them each a cup of tea. Inside, the man's home was a jarring juxtaposition to the verdant woodland outside. Dark wood furniture provided the only warmth contrasting the spacious polished concrete rooms. 

Jimin was, somewhat reluctantly, providing them hospitality after learning of their dispositions - or at least of how Jungkook had chosen to explain them. He had done the lion share of the talking so far with Jake only speaking when any glaring inaccuracies needed correcting. Sunghoon and Jungwon had been near silent. 

Jungkook had left out much of the details of their predicament in an attempt, Jake presumed, to make the information more easy for Jimin to digest and comprehend. As he had put it, Jake and Sunghoon had been in a relationship which they had kept secret from most of their school. However, Jungwon, amongst others, was privy to that information and had been filmed by his bullies, discussing it. This video had then be shared throughout school in an effort to 'out' both boys, presumably out of revenge for an earlier incident between the boys and one of the bullies. 

As a result of said video and the subsequent outing they now felt uncomfortable at school as well as amongst friends. Jungwon meanwhile was in considerably greater and more obvious difficulties. He had lashed out and beaten up both bullies and was now on the run from both his parents and the Seoul Police Department. 

"What about you?" Jimin had asked Jungkook as he poured his friend a cup of tea, "You said you also needed help?"

His question brought a momentary pause of contemplation. Jungkook, who was now sat next to Jimin, leaned back into his seat. "I mean, there's a number of things..."

"Go on?" 

"I've got a lot of ... well let's call them issues"

"Issues"

"Let's see - I've got three young men or boys in my care and as of now and I'm suffering an identity crisis of sorts" 

"Of sorts?" Jimin asked for an elaboration, when none came he turned to regard Jungkook who was now staring are the steam rising from the cup of tea that had just been poured in front of him. Jimin allowed several moments to pass, to give the opportunity for Jungkook to speak. 

This abrupt pause in conversation didn't seem to surprise Jimin who wasn't the least bit offended that his hospitality was being met with silence. It was clear  to Jake that from the time they had spent together with Jimin, that there was a lot about his past that Jungkook had chosen either to withhold or to skate over. 

The earlier ideas of Jimin that Jake had constructed in his head were formed from a conversation with Niki. That version of Jimin was clearly a young teenager's reimagining of a pivotal person in another's life. Niki had supposed lust and desire to be dominant features of Jungkook and Jimin's relationship due to activities he believed had taken place.  What had occurred in the past had obviously left a mark for there now appeared to be instead a kind of brooding reliance and respect - or at least, that's how Jungkook appeared to view Jimin. Conversely - how Jimin viewed Jungkook felt markedly different. Was 'Kookie' as Jimin routinely called him some type of younger brother? The power dynamic between them suggested something like that and Jake couldn't help but wonder what had happened in their shared past to create this peculiar dynamic between two grown men. 

Jake's wondering mind was sharply brought back to reality by the clank of touching china. "Jake" Jimin now spoke and Jake realised the man was staring straight at him. Jimin's eyes were narrow but deftly sharp and dark. They glinted at him in a way that made him recoil slightly as if under an interrogation that could see into his soul. "Let's start with you then?"