Chapter 102: In High Demand 2/7

Monday came around and Sunghoon knew as soon as Jay didn't launch into a tirade upon meeting up with him and Jake at the bush that morning that he was in for an earful when they took up their seats in class.

Jake had been in their friendship circle for several months at this point but he was still considered 'new' by Jay. Sunghoon was aware that when things got serious Jay sometimes only messaged him and Heeseung, not that either of them took the time to respond too quickly.

Sure enough, no sooner had Sunghoon unzipped his rucksack at their desk Jay brought about the question, "So are you going to tell me where the hell you guys disappeared to on Saturday night?"

Despite expecting said question Sunghoon froze in place crouched over his bag. His preplanned excuses disappeared from his mind and he struggled to find them. "Ummm" he begun as he took the first text book out, "We, uh, thought you guys had gone"

"That's a load of crap dude"

"No, I'm being honest, we looked for you and..."

"Why didn't you text me?"

"My phone was out of battery"

"And Jaeyun... and Jungkook?"

"Jungkook was getting busy and ended up going away with girl" Sunghoon said as he placed his stationary on the desk.

"Fine" Jay spoke curtly, "That leaves Jaeyun..." It was always weird to hear Jake called by that name, more so after a weekend when Sunghoon had been so liberal with his use of his actual name. He looked across the classroom at his boyfriend who was talking casually to Yun. He looked handsome sitting there. His face, while tired like any high schooler, was illuminated with golden light from the morning sunshine that was coming through the window he sat next to.

"Sunghoon?" Jay pressed for an answer and Sunghoon realised that he his mind had wondered off-topic.

"Oh, uh, Jaeyun's phone was occupied..." Sunghoon lied, knowing he'd have to tell Jake the contents of story he was trying to fabricate. "...It was an emergency"

"An emergency?" Jay asked, the disbelief in his voice apparent.

"Yeah, an emergency... well, really it was my emergency" Sunghoon could feel the churn in his stomach at the excuse he now knew he was forming.

"What emergency?"

"Well, you know how my grandmother's in hospital?"

"Yeah"

"My dad called Jaeyun to tell me I needed to come the hospital because I had to see her"

"Why did you have to see her on a Saturday night?" Jay clearly wasn't buying it and Sunghoon cursed him as he knew he'd have to descend further into hell with his excuse.

"She's dying Jay!" He said sternly, feigning anger at his friend and turning to look him in the eye. "I needed to say goodbye!"

Sunghoon watched Jay's eyes widen, his lips moved preemptively as if he was about to speak but Jay clearly thought better of it. Sunghoon knew Jay well enough to know that he probably still had his doubts but he was unable to voice them. Instead, Jay softened his demeanour and reached out a hand to rub his friend's shoulder, "Why didn't you just say Hoon?" he asked softly. 

Sunghoon allowed Jay to touch him whilst allowing his own voice to sadden and become sorrowful. Utilising the sadness he felt about being unable to probably ever get the chance to say goodbye. "It's har..." he gulped, "hard Jay. It's hard to think she's going."

"Hey dude, I'm sorry" Jay said, shaking him gently in an effort to comfort him. Sunghoon felt ashamed of himself and tore his eyes from Jay - scanning the classroom  they soon found the comforting sight of Jake.