40 - Last Rites

Underworld...

Emma and Arthur were riding a boat through the River of Lost Souls, towards the docks where Mr Gold had thrown both Milah and Delilah in to secure his path home before Hades went back on his word."We're almost there. The book should be just up ahead," Emma said.

"What are these things?" Arthur asked as he looked at the souls in the river.

"They're lost souls," Emma saw Arthur about to reach for them, "Don't," He stopped and looked at her, "Careful. Touch the water, you become one of them," Emma warned him and he pulled his hand back.

They finally reached the other end, Emma got off the boat and Arthur followed her, "There's the book," Emma looked over at the book, "That two-tone witch was telling the truth," Arthur said

"I'll go, you just make sure the boat's here when I return," Emma said as she handed Arthur the rope.

Emma made her way away from Arthur to get the book but with Arthur, a soul from the river came out of the river and grabbed Arthur by his ankle. Arthur fell to the ground and the souls began to drag the dead King into the river, "Release me, demon!" Arthur yelled.

Emma turned back to him and saw Arthur being dragged to the river, "Arthur!" Emma yelled and began running to him.

"No!" Arthur looked at her and she stopped looking at him, "Go for the book! Go!" Arthur told her.

Emma looked between the book and Arthur, she quickly grabbed a torch and used it on the remaining soul that was grabbing Arthur, Emma lit up the soul and it burst into flames then Emma helped Arthur to feet.

"Thank you," Arthur said to them.

"Uh-huh," Emma said.

"Now, get the book," Arthur told them.

Suddenly, another soul flew behind Arthur and headed straight for the book then grabbed it.

"Emma! The torch!" Arthur said and Emma tossed Arthur the torch, Arthur swung the torch at the soul making it evaporate and drop the book.

The book began to slide off the stone flooring into the river of souls, Emma made a run for it, she slid and grabbed the book. She exhaled sharply, turned onto her back and placed the book beside her.

"You didn't tell me those things could attack us," Arthur said.

Emma stood up, "I didn't know they could," Emma panted, "Perhaps things are changing down here now that Hades is gone," Emma said.