Capter 1

Macon stretched her tired body as she bathed in the ribbons of moon light

Starlight danced along the expanse of ocean as far as she could see, while the balmy air hung around her like a blanket.  Hearing only the gentle crash of waves, she walked across the sand. 
The light breeze caused small bumps to arise across her delicate skin.

She crossed the empty roadway back to the vacant antebellum home she'd held up in the past 6 months. 

She'd decided if she had to be alone in this scary world, she might as well be somewhere beautiful. 

How she'd come to be alone now felt like a horrible nightmare as the events started to become distant memories.

When they'd first arrived, governments kept their existence secret.  All the while, they'd created underground locations where the human race could continue. 

By the time the general population came to know of the extraterrestrials, tickets had been issued to each family.  Only 2 members per family would be permitted into these new underground "safe cities".

That sent the whole world into a chaotic spiral. People killed and stole to obtain the tickets.  Before she knew it, Macon was all alone.  A seventeen year old girl fighting to survive above the surface.  She shuttered at the thought.  That had been 6 years ago. 

Once back inside, she made her way to the large balcony where she slept most nights.  Taking in a deep breath of the salty ocean air, she let out a contented sigh.

She plopped herself into the hammock and stared at the moss that waved from the branches of the ancient Spanish oaks. 

The light of the gas lantern flickered and cast shadows along the travertine railing, and in that instant, she realized just how much that simple thing had cost her.

She felt the gust overhead before horror stabbed her as thought it were a tangible blow.

Three elliptical pods darted in front of her, near the water where she'd been only minutes ago.  

Her heart beat wildly in her chest. A ringing in her ears and a sudden chill coursed through her body with adrenaline as she sprung to action. 

'No, no, no.' She thought as she scrambled off the hammock falling to the balcony floor with a thud.   Panic course through her.

She willed herself to melt into the balcony as she lay perfectly still- now too terrified to move.

But it was too late, the pods had already made landfall on the front lawn.

She crawled on hands and knees to the large double doors.  Tears sprung to her eyes as she attempted to slow her panicked breaths.

Three voices rang out below.  Although speaking in a strange accent, she could make out perfect English. 

"You said yourself you were taking her... tonight. And if you don't, I am." One of the voices said in an almost playful tone, but was met with an animalistic snarl.

They had come here for her? They'd known she was here, but for how long?

Too long was the answer that erupted into her mind.

A knock on the door below caused her to jump.

'What the heck?' She thought. 'Since when do aliens knock?'

She remained completely still—huddled next to the door on the 2nd story balcony.

Minutes seemed to stretch on for hours as she listened for footsteps.

Maybe they'd just leave if they were convinced she'd fled. She held her breath and kept perfectly still.

Moments later, Macon heard the wooden staircase creak with the weight of footsteps.

Silence lingered for a minute or two before the door she was leaned against was pulled open, causing her to fall backwards with the sudden loss of its support. Her head smacked against the hardwood with a thud.

Slightly dazed, she stared up into the eyes of the first alien she'd ever seen.

And something within Macon hummed to life.