Ch. 52

Xane's heart pounded in his chest as he sat at the table, his gaze fixed on the stage where Macon stood, dressed in a short see- through robe. The decorative lingerie peeking through. His body tensed, and he clenched his fists, doing everything he could not to react to the sight before him. But it was a struggle, a battle against his desires and his worry for her safety.

As the rhythmic music began, he felt his breath catch in his throat. His eyes were drawn to her hips as they swayed with the rhythm, a seductive grace that was both mesmerizing and torturous to watch. He knew she was doing this to survive, to find a way out of this nightmare, but that didn't stop the rush of desire that surged through him. His body ached for her— needed her in every way.

His mind was a whirlwind of emotions – anger at the situation they were in, fear for her safety, and a burning need to protect her from this degrading display. He wanted to storm the stage, to sweep her away from these vile men, but he knew he couldn't risk blowing their cover. He had to play the part, to keep up the facade that he had joined the rebellion willingly.

Macon's eyes locked with his, and he saw a silent challenge in her gaze. She moved closer to him, her body brushing against his table, and he swallowed hard at the lump of desire that chocked him. But he couldn't let his guard down, not even for a moment.

Her movements became more deliberate, and he could feel the intensity of her stare burning into him. He wanted to reach out to her, to pull her into his arms and never let go, but he knew he had to remain distant, to keep up the act that he was indifferent to her.

As the music swelled and the lights dimmed, he felt a mix of emotions swirling within him. Desire warred with worry, and he struggled to maintain his composure. He knew she was trying to provoke a reaction from him, to remind him of what they had had not so very long ago, but he had to remain strong, for both of their sakes.

When Vorce introduced him as the newest recruit, he stood, feeling the weight of the room's attention on him. His uniform was gone, replaced by the colors of the rebellion, a symbol of the role he was playing. His hand gripped the table tightly, a silent reminder to himself to stay in control.

Moments later, Macon was brought before him, his control slipped.

Her touch was like a fire against his skin as she reached out and traced a finger along his jawline. That touch was electric, and he had to bite back a groan of pleasure. Her lips brushed against his ear, and he felt a shiver run down his spine and deep into his being. He couldn't believe how much he craved her, how her slightest touch sent him reeling.

She leaned in closer, her lips dangerously close to his neck. And then, without warning, she licked a slow, sensual trail along his neck, and he nearly came undone. Every fiber of his being screamed for him to pull her close, to claim her as his own, but he knew he had to resist even as he manhood strained against his pants.

His body betrayed him, reacting to her every move, but he's resistance was iron clad. He had to remain in control, even though his heart was screaming in protest.

As the dance reached its climax, he dared to meet her gaze once more, and he saw a flicker of something in her eyes – hurt or frustration—But before he could decipher it, the moment ended, and she was led away from him.

He clenched his jaw, his body still tingling from her touch, his body and heart aching with a mix of desire and worry. He knew he had to stay strong, to keep up the act, but he couldn't help but wonder if she would ever be able to forgive him for this.

As the night wore on, he kept his distance, not daring to show any sign of emotion. But inside, he was torn – torn between duty and desire, between the role he was playing and the love he felt for his bonded.

When it was finally over and he was taken to an actual room, he allowed himself a moment of weakness. He buried his face in his hands, trying to quell the desire that still raged within him. He had to find a way to get them out of this nightmare, to protect her and keep her safe.

But for now, all he could do was wait and hope that they could survive this ordeal together, and that their love would be strong enough to endure even the darkest of times.