Ch. 55

The hours leading up to the evening had been torturous for Xane. Every thought was consumed with worries and what-ifs, and he felt physically sick with anxiety. He tried to push away the thoughts, to focus on what lay ahead, but the fear of something going wrong gnawed at him.

As he returned to his room after the evening meal, his heart pounded in his chest. He dreaded the possibility that the Madam might have sent the wrong girl, or worse, that it could all be a trap. The fear of Macon being caught in his room and the Madam discovering their bond haunted him.

His hands trembled as he unlocked the door, not knowing what to expect. But when he stepped inside, all of his fears melted away. There she was, sitting on his bed, looking at him with a mixture of relief and fear in her eyes.

Without a second thought, Xane rushed to her side, wrapping his arms around her and burying his face in her chest. The weight of his emotions spilled out, and he didn't care that she saw him like this, vulnerable and raw.

Macon held him close, stroking his hair gently as he sobbed. She understood the weight of his burden, the fear and uncertainty that had plagued him. In that moment, they both found solace in each other's arms, the comfort of knowing that they were not alone in this fight.

As the tears subsided, Xane pulled back slightly to look into Macon's eyes. "I was so afraid," he whispered, his voice hoarse.

Macon caressed his cheek, her touch like a balm to his soul. "I know," she said softly. "But we're together now, and that's all that matters."

He pushed the hair from her face.  "We've got to get you out of here."

Her look of surprise caught him off guard. 

"What about the others?" She asked worrying over the safety of the women that had become her friends. 

"We will come back for them, but we are no use to anyone trapped in this place." Xane shook his head.  He'd allowed himself to get so caught up in his new life here that he felt something that mirror guilt at the thought of leaving his men. 

Everything felt so messed up— he took a breath to steady himself. 

"Here— put these on." Xane said handing Macon the extra uniform that he'd secured. 

Quickly, she slipped out of the lingerie and donned the uniform.

It was a little big, but it wouldn't draw too much attention.  Now to do something about her hair. 

Xane pulled the shears from the desk side table. 

"What are you going to do with those." Macon's eyes grew wide at the sight of them.

Xane made a face and blew out a breath. 

"You'll still be beautiful, but you need to trust me."

"I do.  It's just— you know what— just do it."

She closed her eyes as he took her long waves in his hand and cut. 

Tear threatening to break free as she saw the long tresses fall against his hand. 

They needed to get out of this place though. 

She rushed to the restroom and wiped away the makeup. 

The hair would take some getting used to. He'd left it about a pixie length. She ran her hands through it giving a bit of volume to the mess.

"You ready?" He asked nervously. 

"I guess I'm as ready as I'll ever be." She said. 

Without a second thought, Xane flung open the door.  They were down the hall in a matter of minutes. Their pace remained unhurried as they made it to the back of the base. 

This was it.  He flung the door open and they stepped out into the sand. 

In the veil of darkness no one noticed as Xane grabbed his pack from beneath a shuttle and he and Macon ran through the night.  His hold on her hand impossibly tight.