Ch. 56

The night seemed endless as Xane and Macon continued running, their breaths coming in ragged gasps. The adrenaline coursing through their veins pushed them forward, but exhaustion threatened to overtake them.

Xane looked back at Macon, her face flushed and sweat glistening on her brow. He could see the fatigue in her eyes, but he knew they couldn't stop yet. "Just a little further," he encouraged, his voice filled with determination. "We're almost there."

The abandoned village loomed in the distance, a faint glimmer of hope in the darkness. It had been their last successful raid, and Xane knew it offered temporary shelter and supplies that would sustain them for a while.

He increased his pace, pushing his tired body to the limit, and Macon followed suit, finding reserves of strength she didn't know she had. They ran side by side, their footsteps echoing through the desolate landscape.

Finally, they reached the outskirts of the village, their chests heaving, and they slowed to a halt. Xane grabbed Macon's hand, offering her a reassuring squeeze. "We made it," he said, his voice filled with a mix of relief and triumph. "We're safe for now."

As they entered the abandoned village, they found a small house that had remained intact. Inside, they discovered some provisions left behind from their previous raid – canned food, clean water, and blankets. It wasn't much, but it would be enough to sustain them until they could plan their next move.

Collapsing onto the floor, exhaustion finally catching up to them, Xane and Macon shared a weighted stare. Their hearts were still pounding, but a sense of calm settled over them as they realized they had escaped.

Xane pulled Macon atop him and without warning tugged the uniform from her small frame as their mouths met in a frenzied dance of heat and love.

All their pent-up emotions and relief pouring into the intimate connection between them. Their bodies pressed close, seeking comfort and reassurance in each other's embrace.

Xane's hands gently cradled Macon's face, his touch tender yet urgent, as if he couldn't get enough of her. Macon's fingers traced the contours of his back, reveling in the warmth and strength of the man she loved.

It had been too long since he'd held her in his arms— since he'd felt her delicate skin. 

Every second was an eternity as the struggled to free himself of his own clothing. 

It was a painful ecstasy as their bodies collided with all of the torment and desire that had threatened to spill over these past weeks. 

Xane brushed a strand of hair away from Macon's face, his fingers gentle and tender. "I love you," he whispered, his voice filled with sincerity and devotion.

She pressed her forehead to his and breathed in the scent of him. 

This moment was all she had wanted for so long and she wasn't ready for it to end.