Ch. 59

Macon struggled against Xane's weight as she desperately tried to pull him to safety amidst the rubble. Her heart raced, adrenaline surging through her veins as she managed to drag him against a crumbling wall, providing them with some semblance of cover.

The sound of chatter grew louder, the soldiers closing in on their position. Fear and determination warred within Macon as she clung to the blaster, her only defense against the impending threat.

Her heart thundered in her chest, but she refused to give in to panic. She knew she had to be strong, for herself and for Xane. They had come so far, fought so hard to escape, and she wasn't about to let it all end here.

With the blaster propped on the rubble before her, she waited, her grip steady. She would shoot without hesitation as soon as the soldiers were within range. There was no room for error. Her mind raced with the possibilities, calculating the best angle and timing for the shot.

A flicker of worry crossed her mind as she glanced at the blaster's gauge, seeing that it held only a fourth of its original charge. She prayed it would be enough to protect them, to give them a fighting chance.

Through the haze of smoke and debris, she could make out the approaching figures of the soldiers. Her heart pounded in her ears, and every second felt like an eternity. But she held her ground, determined not to back down.

As the soldiers drew closer, their voices grew louder, and her grip on the blaster tightened. She steadied her breath, blocking out everything but the task at hand. She focused solely on the soldiers, her finger hovering over the trigger.

With her heart in her throat, she waited for the perfect moment, the split second when she could strike. Time seemed to slow, her senses heightened as she honed in on the soldiers' movements.

And then, in the blink of an eye, the soldiers were within range. Macon's hand moved with lightning speed as she pulled the trigger. The blaster fired, its deadly energy cutting through the air.

A near miss as it struck the building just to the right of her target. Her air of surprise blown in one misfire.  The other soldiers reacted quickly, taking cover and returning fire.

Macon gritted her teeth, determination burning in her eyes as she fired again and again, her heart pounding in her chest. Her movements were swift and precise, her aim true, but the odds were stacked against them.

With each shot, her heart weighed heavy with the knowledge that their chances of survival were dwindling. But she couldn't give up. She couldn't let fear paralyze her. She had to fight for them both.

As the blaster's charge neared its end, Macon's resolve only strengthened. She fired off the last few shots, hoping they would be enough to keep the soldiers at bay.

And then, silence fell. The smoke cleared,  She grabbed the knife at Xane's side and waited. 

Fear clutched her as figures appeared through the haze. 

Her heart stuttered.  There were far to many to fend off.

She might be able to hold of one of the males as long as she had the knife but with the five she counted—She had no hope of survival.

But she dang sure wasn't going back to the rebel base. She would go out while she held her freedom on her own terms.