Chapter 9

Sitting close enough to smell the gentle fragrance of her, Chiss sat in contemplation.

He tried to bite down the bitterness he'd felt watching the male feed 'his' female.

His teeth ground together as he watched in horror as she smiled at him and placed a hand on his chest.

She actually liked him.

This was unbelievable.

Chiss nearly laughed at his luck.

He wanted to hate the commander, but he really couldn't fault him. 

After all, he was the one that had imprinted on the girl the commander had already claimed. 

And who wouldn't want Macon?

He'd seen her do many things in the name of self preservation.

She was fierce and able to care for herself. 

Aside from her admirable character, she was beautiful... exotic in the way that he'd found human women to be.

Her curves and skin were soft and delicate as opposed to his own kind. 

Her long silky hair reminded him of the luster of smooth amber stones that lined the shores of Autri.
*********************

Macon yawned and leaned into the plush cushions of the couch. 

Most of the excitement had died down. 

"You look tired Macon. I hope you don't mind staying with Chiss until the renovations are complete at our estate. He is my oldest friend.  I've no doubt that he will take the best care of you."

Macon nearly winced at the thought of exactly how well Chiss might take care of her. 

Just how well she hoped he'd take care of her, but in the name of self-preservation she needed to resist that pull towards a male she did not belong to. 

Her cheeks heated at the thought.

The commander noticed the subtle glow in her cheeks and mistook it for embarrassment.

"If at any point the arrangement feels too uncomfortable, I will do what I can to find other lodging for you. " the commander was at the least a gracious host.

"I'm just a bit overwhelmed at the situation in it's entirety. I'm sure I will adjust just fine."

And Macon really was surprised how quickly she had settled into life with the Aturians.

She thought it was possible that the longing to no longer be alone had helped in that.

It was nice at a most basic level to have conversation be it with the other human women or with the Aturians. 

"You know, come to think of it.   I wouldn't mind calling it a night." Macon finally decided.

She turned her attention toward Chiss who had a most adamant look to him.  

She could almost feel the intensity rolling off of him in waves.  

This male was dangerous.  Obviously. 

Not in a traditional since, but in the way that she might release havoc upon herself by merely being around him. 

In a moment, the commander had called Chiss to his side. 

He stood looming over them.

The pull between them an invisible elastic cord.

She feared that it might snap at any moment slinging them together, and she couldn't deny that at the moment that's what her body craved.

To be pressed against him.

As she looked at Chiss, it was obvious he'd felt it to.

His eyes raked over her body and there was a hunger there that she couldn't miss.

The need to be out of view of the commander was all she could think of suddenly.

She could not let him know how she was so drawn to the male that was supposedly his oldest friend.

************************