Chapter 11

Suddenly, the lights flickered on rendering her sightless for a moment.

Once her eyes adjusted, she could finally see who'd been handling her body only moments before.

His eyes were slightly glazed perhaps from too much wine or perhaps with lust, but they were a glowing amber. She could almost make out the hint of gold that hid at the base of each pupil like a crown.

His short silver hair was messed no doubt from what he'd been doing only moments before.

Her cheeks heated at the thought.

He'd changed from the more formal attire that he'd worn earlier in the evening.

In the sleeveless shirt, she could now see his strong arms were lined with what looked like tribal markings that stood out faintly against the powdered gray of his skin tone.

This perhaps was the first time she'd truly looked at him.
And...holy hell this man was burning her body from the inside.  The epidemy of sex and no doubt could any women he desired Aturian or human. 
But his eyes held a vulnerability in them that she didn't expect.
Suddenly snapping out of her stupor, she straightened pulling the covers over her chest.

Now with her senses fully in fact, she was more than a bit embarrassed.
The silk gown did little to cover her.

"Commander?" The surprise evident in her voice.

"Macon, I am sorry for imposing." He tried to explain before lowering his gaze.

It was obvious that things had not gone as he'd planned.
Or perhaps he'd had no plan just-

She was at a loss for words and her brain was indefinitely scrambled.

"If you'll excuse me." He cleared his throat and turned to leave.

"Commander." She whispered and he paused in place.

"Xane.... please call me Xane." His tone was defeated and something like regret shown on his perfect face.

And something about how this beast of a man held such a gentle tone struck her.

"Umm.... Xane.... why don't you stay. At least for a short while. We can- talk."

She was really too frazzled by what had just happened to go back to sleep now anyway.

His jaw ticked as he seemed to think better of the idea, but eventually he nodded and walked toward the small chaise in the corner of the room.

She grabbed at the silk robe that lay in a crumpled pile on the floor. When she leaned up, She couldn't help but to notice how his eyes were glued to her chest.

Well, at the base of everything he was in fact a male.... an Aturian male, but a male none the less. 

Quickly wrapping herself in the robe, she walked toward him hesitantly.

He shifted to the side to make room for her.

"Please forgive me. It's just been so long since I've been with a woman. I'm having trouble keeping myself from you. But, I promise I will not force myself upon you. Of that you can be sure. Perhaps the festivities of the night have dulled my senses too much."

For some reason the mention of him being with another woman prior to her caused irritation to flicker deep down. And she wondered how long it could have been as she looked at him.

Although he looked to be no more that 25, she wasn't sure how his species aged.

Letting her curiosity get the best of her, she decided that just maybe she needed to get to know the commander.

"So Commander, just how old are you?" A hint of flirtation trailed in her tone surprising herself.

The corner of his lips perked up, nearing a smile, and a playfulness filled his eyes.

"Well, according to Earth standards I would be approaching my 33rd year of life."

"Well, you've aged well." She said in surprise.

"Is that so?" His eyes held a glimmer of hope that had nearly been crushed.

She smiled and nodded in response.

Over the next few hours their conversation remained light and slightly flirtatious as he told her about his youth and how he'd become one of the youngest commanders in Aturian history.

Soon, light filtered in through the drapes that covered the window.

"It would, perhaps, create undesirable feelings for me to be seen leaving your room in the early morning hours. I should take leave before Chiss rises."

She nodded, and he left quietly.

Only then did she allow herself to slink down into the cushions behind her.  Her body ached.

She wasn't exactly sure what time it was, so she decided it best to get some rest before Chiss came to wake her. They hadn't really talked about whatever activities might take place today.

*********************************************