Chapter 20

After returning from the bathing pools, they'd been expected to dress for the events of the evening.

Macon tugged at the sheer cream colored material in an attempt to cover more of her exposed skin to no avail. 

The dress was beautiful and delicate, so she knew not to pull too forcefully. 

Vosi had been kind enough to gift Macon with a dress for the evening festivities. 

The gesture had been at the request of Chiss's mother. 

And Macon hoped that the action had not been an attempt to make her look like an utter fool.  

She'd feel better once she was able to see what some of the other guests were wearing. 

A knock at the door startled her.

"Come in." She winced as her voice cracked slightly revealing her nerves. 

A young female stood in the open doorway wearing a simple dress and holding a tray of items.

"If it would please you, the lady of the house has asked me to adorn you in an acceptable fashion."

Macon came closer trying to see what the girl meant. 

Understanding flooded her as she saw items on the tray that could be used in her hair and for makeup. 

A head piece that was adorned with what looked like freshwater pearls was placed against her forehead and loose braids encircled her head.

Her face was brushed with a pearlescent shimmer on her cheeks and nose while kohl was rubbed around her eyes giving a smokey look.

The girl smiled in approval as she surveyed her work. 

Macon took a deep breath gaining any composure that she could find. 

From the doorway she could already hear the low buzz of conversation. 

She thanked the girl and headed out into hallway lead by the laughter and excitement that grew louder the closer she got to the large open room at what appeared to be the center of the palace. 

The ceiling was open revealing a pale blue moon and stars that seemed too close to be real.  They glistened and the sky hummed with color.  Macon was stuck in the moment.  Seeing this truly alien sky for the first time.  It was surreal. 

But what did she expect?

Chiss had explained that his home was in an area of the planet that held more traditional values and was also far less modernized than the capital. 
And that meant less buildings to block the view.

Her mind snapped back to the present and sheer curtains that blew seductively in the breeze and seemed to sway along with music.

Just beyond them, guests that danced and laughed in celebration. 

She would soon have to join them. 

"Ah, and who is hiding just beyond the veil?"
She was pulled forward by an amused Anders. 

"Oh, I-" she tried to explain, but there was nothing she could say. 

She'd been too insecure to enter on her own. 

And if she were honest with herself she was more afraid of what she'd find on the other side. 

Vosi stood with her front pressed firmly into Chiss's side, arms locked around his waist.

His face was a mask of indifference and Macon concluded that was the only thing that had stopped her from coming unhinged. 

Anders quipped, " I suppose that their might be more to the relationship between you and my brother than previously mentioned."

Macon blushed.  "Of course not."

"Good then, honor me with a dance."  Anders bowed his head ever so slightly and extended a hand which she had no choice but to take.  He was handsome and charming in a way that reminded her of her once best friend, Aaron.  She even guessed that he was now the age that Aaron had been the last time she'd seen him.  That memory tugged at her chest as he pulled her to the dance floor. 

She looked nervously at the other couples dancing. 

"I do not know this dance."
"It is easy, and I will lead." His smile was genuine and Macon relaxed ever so slightly.

Palms pressed together, hips swayed wide in a low dip. 

Anders pressed slightly against her left hand signaling a turn to their left. 

The dance was lively, and Macon found that she was actually having fun. 

As the dance came to a close, Macon bent at the middle as laughter spilled from her. 

It was the first time she'd laughed in a long time.