Ch. 60

As they journeyed through the desolate landscape, a haunting sight greeted them in the distance—a smoldering city, a poignant reminder of the devastation caused by the rebels. Gage's voice pierced the silence, sending shivers down their spines as he warned of enemy ships lurking just beyond the city gates.

"Enemy ships detected," his voice echoed through the ship, setting their nerves on edge. Chiss wasted no time, swiftly commanding them to lie low and descend into the cover of the sand. Their survival depended on staying undetected, a precarious dance with danger.

The two enemy ships loomed closer, barely visible, and Chiss's heart pounded with a mix of apprehension and determination. The rebels, oblivious to the impending threat, reveled around a campfire, their arrogance leaving them vulnerable. A small group ventured into the city, weapons at the ready.

With unwavering resolve, Chiss rallied his crew. "We'll pursue on foot and neutralize the threat."

His soldiers nodded, their loyalty unwavering as they prepared to face the dangers ahead. They moved as shadows in the night, the darkness their ally. Their training guided their every step, masking their presence and narrowing the gap between them and the rebels.

Yet, as they closed in, the stillness shattered into chaos. Gunfire erupted, a symphony of violence, tearing through the night. The air crackled with tension, the echoes of their confrontation haunting the desolate streets.

"Stand down!" Chiss's commanding voice cut through the cacophony, a beacon of authority amidst the turmoil.

After what felt like an eternity, the gunfire ceased, leaving silence in its wake. A handful of rebel soldiers emerged from the distance, a chilling reminder of the cost of this conflict.

Chiss's hand rose, signaling his soldiers to take aim. Swiftly and efficiently, they neutralized the remaining threat, overwhelming them from behind. Victory came with a heavy price, their hearts burdened by the consequences of their actions.

Yet, amidst the wreckage and chaos, a faint whimper reached Chiss's ears, barely audible. His instincts led him to the source, his heart racing as he followed the sound, a flicker of hope guiding his steps.

In the aftermath of the firefight, a small figure appeared, as if fate itself had intervened. Holstering his weapon, Chiss rushed to the young woman's side, catching her as she crumpled under the weight of her emotions.

"I've got you," he whispered, his voice a soothing balm against her fear. "You're safe now."

She clung to him, tears streaming down her face, her heart raw with anguish and relief. Her words tumbled out in a trembling plea, revealing another life in danger—Xane.

Without hesitation, the soldiers sprang into action, racing to assist their Commander, united in their determination to protect one of their own. Macon and Chiss followed closely, their bond of friendship and loyalty driving them forward.

Chiss knelt beside his friend, his touch signaling a silent promise.