Ch. 32

It had been nearly a week since the attack on the royal family.   Still the rebels had remained dormant, and the city had been cleared. 

The regent's scheduled return was later today.  They would preform one last sweep before the residence  were allowed admittance into the city. 

Macon insisted on returning with them.  She and Kenna would stay at Xane's estate as long as the beautiful dwelling was still inhabitable. 

The Regent apartments had been destroyed along with several other high profile buildings nearby. 

Macon held the small child in her arms while the little girl studied her face, and her tiny hand rubbed a strand of Macon's hair. 

"This feels like mother's," the little girl said lowly and Macon bit back tears knowing all too well what a loss like this felt like. 

She pulled the little girl to her. 
How could she let her go?

Selfishly, she hoped that Kenna's family wouldn't come for her. 

An arm wrapped around Macon's waist and drew her to the warm figure behind her. 

His warm earthy scent eased her mind, and she sunk into him. 

"The trams leave in an hour.  The regent pods will travel alongside of the tram as we head into the city."  

Macon turned and stared into Xane's eyes. 
"So, you won't be riding the tram with us then?"  

Xane let out a breath, and his smile dropped.
"No, however, Anders will accompany you and Kenna."

Macon didn't miss how his tone softened as he looked at the little girl. 

And the question that consumed her decided to make itself known- "Has there been any word on Kenna's family."

Xane shook his head.  "Not yet. We will know more once we are able to get back to the city and everyone is settled."

Xane lifted her bag and nodded in the direction of the waiting trams.  "Let's get you loaded."

**********************************************
Macon watched out the window as the tram plowed through the landscape nearly too fast for her to make out the alien word that stretched out before her. 

A soft snore drew her attention to the sleeping pod in the cabin.  Anders and Kenna had slept nearly the entire trip so far. 

Macon made her way to the large window and sunk down silently onto her knees and wiped at the moisture covering the window. 

What she saw was unbelievable. 

A large body of ice blue water stretched on forever, and the shore was lined with a rainbow of tiny pebbles.   It was breathtaking. 

She was entranced until a jolt of fear caused her to fly backwards and land flat on her backside. 

Moments later Anders emerged from the sleeping pod and stretched. 

His hair was a wild mess, and his smile was sleepy and warm. 

His eyebrows rose assessing her position on the floor of their shared cabin. 

"You alright?" He asked with a lightness to his tone. 

She straightened and shoved a few loose strands behind her ear before standing.  "Yea.... Just saw some Umm—animals that startled me."

In all the time that she'd been on Aturi, Macon hadn't seen any animals apart from a few small creatures that reminded her of cats. 

This thing however was terrifying. 

So much so that she refused to look out the window and simply pointed. 

Anders made his way to the window.  "Oh," he said.  "That is a sckrill...But don't worry... they only live near the Southern boarder of the city and have never attacked the trams.  Sure a small pod flying solo might be in danger, but we are fine."

Macon's face paled, and she nodded. 

Suddenly, Anders burst out in loud laughter.  "Oh, Macon.... I'm only kidding.  The sckrill is a peaceful creature."

Macon rolled her eyes and smacked him on his shoulder. 

Anders winced slightly at the contact, but continued to laugh. 

A thickly accented voice rang over the speaker.  "Approaching Voturian City.  Please be prepared to depart."