Ch. 57

Chiss's ship soared through the landscape as they approached the rebel base in Yardin. This mission held a special significance for him, not only as a strategic operation to retrieve Xane and the missing Royal fleet but also as a personal endeavor to rescue the woman he loved.

He had made a promise to himself that he would tell her what she meant to him. He knew the cost of that admission, but he had no choice. He couldn't bear the anguish of her not knowing.

As the acting commander in Xane's absence, Chiss had taken his responsibilities seriously, leading the fleet with determination and unwavering resolve. But beneath the facade of authority, doubt pooled in his gut. Was he just playing the role? He hadn't been able to keep Macon safe; how was he supposed to lead the entire Royal army? The memory of her kidnapping haunted him, and he couldn't shake off the feeling of guilt for not being able to protect her.

As they neared the rebel base, Chiss's mind was filled with a mix of emotions. The anticipation of the upcoming mission was tinged with worry and fear for Macon's safety. He knew he couldn't allow his personal feelings to cloud his judgment, but it was challenging to keep them at bay.

"Prepare for recon," Chiss ordered, his voice firm and focused. The crew members responded with efficiency, their training kicking in as they readied themselves for the mission ahead.

As the starship entered the vicinity of the rebel base, Chiss's senses heightened. His eyes scanned the area, searching for any signs of Xane and the missing fleet. His heart pounded in his chest, hoping against hope that they would find them safe and unharmed.

"Scanning the area," one of the crew members reported, their voice echoing through the bridge.

Chiss held his breath, waiting anxiously for the results. The moments stretched on, each second feeling like an eternity. Finally, the crew member spoke again, "I'm detecting debris from some of our own ships only 2 clicks from the base."

"Damn," Chiss breathed out. He had held so much hope that he'd find his friend alive.

"Prepare for landing," he commanded, and the starship descended towards the rebel base. He couldn't allow his own emotions to get in the way.

As they touched down, Chiss led his fleet with precision, making their way towards the heart of the base. His mind was sharp, every move calculated as he navigated through the enemy territory.

With each step, Chiss's desire to find Macon and bring her back safely grew stronger. She was the driving force behind his determination, the anchor that fueled his resolve.

Finally, they reached the holding area, where Xane and the rest of the Royal fleet would have been held. The cells were empty. "We need to scour every inch of this place. No doubt the prisoners have been moved."

The rebel base lay in ruins as Chiss and his fleet pushed through the distractions. They took out every rebel soldier in sight in a matter of minutes. His heart grew heavy as he noted the age and condition of the soldiers. Most were hardly juveniles. The thought turned his stomach.

Amidst the chaos, Chiss caught sight of a wounded figure huddled behind a large overturned table. Chiss approached, his weapon drawn.

"Who are you?" The huddled figure spat.

"Acting Commander, Chiss St. Baylor of the Royal Command."

A bitter laugh echoed through the room.

"It seems I made an error in selecting Commander Luto. You were the pivotal force, it seems," he said, attempting to pull himself closer to Chiss.

"Where is the Commander?" Chiss seethed.

"That is the question?" The man said bitterly. "Never mind though. Even if I die today, there will be those who will continue our endeavor. We will take the crown and return our society to what it once was before any of—"