Chapter 26

Macon stood at the edge of the room wishing she had in fact taken Vosi up on her offer. 

She looked like a grandmother in the conservative dress that she'd grabbed from her own suitcase. 

It was beautiful, but she couldn't help feeling out of place.  

She watched as Vosi charmed the prince.  The actual freaking prince of Aturi.  He was laughing at something she said, and Macon wondered how she could ever compete with this female. 

What would she do if Vosi decided she wanted the commander?  
She really needed to get out of her head.  She was starting to overthink her relationship with the commander....
But,
If she could have a prince, there was no one that would be immune to her advances. 

The third glass of Aturian wine went down easier than the first two. 

Macon was just a little upset at the fact that both the commander and Chiss had been called to the shuttle station that was something like three earth miles from the compound. 

Apparently, the rebels had infiltrated the area. 

Macon had been rather upset by the news earlier, but she found that the more alcohol she consumed the less upset she felt. 

Anders kept watching the doorway that remained closed. 

The deep scowl marring his face renewed Macon's nerves, and she decided it was time for an update. 

Once she was in his proximity, he turned to look at her.  "Well?" She said expectantly. 

"Macon, I am sorry, but do not know any more than you at the moment."

"Ugh." She grunted out lowly.

This was torturous. 

The commander and Chiss were most likely in danger, and the guests were having a full blown rave.
Right as Vosi's lips pressed against the Prince's temple, the compound and the ground shook with the force of an explosion.  Rubble and debris spread though the air knocking her into his lap. He grasp at her arm to hold her in place.
Guests fell to their knees as the ground quaked, and the great marble walls of the building began to collapse.
A cloud of smoke filled the air around them.
Macon needed to get a grasp on her surroundings.

The blast had sobered her, and it took little more than a moment for her to decide that she needed to escape.

"We need to go.... Now," she shouted in Ander's face.

He nodded in agreement, and Macon took his hand.
Her feet were scuffed and bruised as she ran blindly though the rubble. 

The only thing she could do now was run.  

"This way," Anders shouted, jerking her down a partially collapsed hallway. 

There was a massive hole in the wall at the end.

Another loud blast sent more of the wall and ceiling crashing to the ground. 
Macon's heart pound in her chest.  They had to get out of this building.  It was most certainly under attack. 

Ducking through the hole they were finally out in the open.

The area was flat with little to block the view of attackers.  

They ran desperately. The compound grew smaller behind them.  The best they could do was get as far away as they could. 

In the darkness, small explosions lit up the night sky behind them. 

"The caves?"

"Our best bet." Anders agreed.