Ch. 42

The next day Macon sat in the courtyard, mind swirling with the thought of Chiss and that female as they'd danced last night.  She'd been so caught off guard by the sight of him as their bodies moved against each other in those lilting moments.  Anders had even offered to dance with her after seeing how affected she'd become. 

"Tell me," he'd said, "do you love my brother?" His tone was hushed as so no one else would hear. 

Her bitter expression had said it all. 

Against her better judgement and against everything in her that hated herself for it—she did. 

At her very core she loved him. She loved them both—Xane for how well he cared for her and well he loved her.  And yet, she loved Chiss with a reckless abandon that made no sense. Loved him even as he'd held the other woman in his arms. 

But she knew she had to let him go.

Sitting by the side of the water feature, Macon felt the cool mist of the splashing water caress her cheek saving her from the memory. The stream flowed gracefully into the garden, its gentle currents cascading over a meticulously crafted waterfall and meandering away from the property. The garden itself was the one place Macon could go to escape. 

The exquisite stained glass dome arched overhead, its vibrant hues casting a kaleidoscope of colors onto the surrounding foliage. She studied tiny bird-like creatures that flitted from branch to branch, their iridescent feathers reflecting the prismatic light. They danced and chirped in perfect harmony, their playful antics leaving the whisper of a smile across her face. 

The sudden approach of Anders startled Macon, causing her to stand up abruptly. "Hi," she chirped, her curiosity piqued as she observed the golden cage he held in his hand. The intricately patterned metal box, roughly the size of a shoe box, seemed to cradle something precious within.

With mischievous eyes, Anders stood before her, raising an eyebrow as he presented the small box to her. "Perhaps a companion would help to fill your days?" he suggested, a playful smile spreading across his face.

"What?" Macon laughed, her excitement growing as she took the box and immediately knelt down. Eye level with the small door and latch, she felt anticipation bubbling within her.

"Go ahead," Anders encouraged, his smile widening.

Without hesitation, Macon slid the latch open and pulled the door ajar. Her breath caught in her throat as she beheld the sight before her, and she almost squealed with delight.

However, her hand halted halfway, realizing it would be better to wait for further instructions before attempting to grab the small animal.

"Is it safe to—" she began, but Anders knelt beside her, his hand gently snaking into the box. He carefully pulled out a small, furry creature, cradling it against his chest.

"What is he?" Macon asked, her voice filled with amusement as she gazed at the enchanting creature in his hands.

"He is a nimbus," Anders replied, his eyes sparkling. "They are quite safe and playful. Many of them roam wild in the uninhabited areas of our planet, but some, like this one, are tame."

Macon's smile never wavered as she held out her hands. Anders gently placed the nimbus in her palms, and she drew it closer to her, feeling its warmth against her skin.

Rubbing the creature's smooth fur with two fingers, she held it close, feeling a sense of contentment wash over her. "Thank you," she said simply, pressing a gentle kiss atop the tiny creature's head.

"Does he have a name?" she inquired, looking up at Anders.

"I believe that honor should be yours to give," Anders responded.

Macon pondered for a moment, then suggested, "Maybe just Nim?" The question hung in the air, and Anders nodded, a faint laugh escaping his lips. "Very original," he quipped, his eyes filled with affection for both Macon and the newly named Nim.