Ch. 54

The early morning sun cast a warm glow over the grounds as Xane stood at the forefront, overseeing the drills with his new fleet of rebels. He had risen before dawn, as was his routine these last three weeks. The rebels, many of whom were once under his command as part of the Royal Army, now followed his every command without question.

"Alright, everyone, fall into formation!" Xane's voice rang out, strong and authoritative. The rebels quickly lined up, their faces serious and determined.

With practiced precision, Xane led them through various drills, honing their combat skills and teamwork. He pushed them to their limits, demanding the best from each one of them. The drills were rigorous, but the rebels didn't falter. They trusted in Xane's leadership, knowing that he was the key to their success.

"Keep up the pace! Move as one!" Xane called out, urging them to push harder.

When the training session finally came to an end, Xane addressed his fleet. "Well done, everyone. Your dedication and hard work are evident. Remember, get some rest tonight we have a long day tomorrow."

Xane scrubbed a hand down his sweaty face as he headed into the commissary. He grabbed a tray and made his way to a small table where a few acquaintances sat.

"You've got to be careful with the night passes—Zorish would know," Xander quipped, motioning to one of the Generals at the end of the table. "He's knocked up one of the human females."

Suddenly, Xane's focus lasered in on the conversation he'd stumbled into.

"What's a night pass?" he asked, trying to maintain an air of casualness despite the rapid beating of his heart.

"You can buy a night pass from the madam, but you gotta keep it on the down-low. Vorce doesn't know about the Madam's little side business," Xander explained.

"What's the price?" he asked, trying to keep his voice steady.

Xander leaned in, speaking in a hushed tone. "It's not cheap, my friend. But if you want a night pass, I can arrange it for you. We all have needs."

It seemed plausible that no one other than Vorce was aware of his and Macon's relationship, but he'd need to make absolutely sure.

Nearly two weeks and 3 raids had passed before he'd managed to rack up enough yarin to cover the Madam's fee, but he'd done it. The meeting was set for late that evening, after the drills had concluded and the base had quieted down. Xane's heart pounded in his chest as he approached the Madam's quarters, his mind filled with a mix of anticipation and dread. He knew that what he was about to do was risky, but he was willing to take the chance if it meant having an entire night with Macon.

The door creaked open, and he stepped inside, finding the Madam sitting regally on a plush couch. She looked up at him with a calculating gaze, sizing him up.

"Ah, the rebel commander himself," she purred, her voice like silk. "What brings you to my humble abode?"

"I've heard you offer night passes," Xane said, trying to keep his voice steady.

The Madam chuckled, running a finger along the edge of her wine glass. "Indeed, I do. But such privileges come at a cost, my dear."

"I'm willing to pay," Xane replied, reaching into a pouch at his waist and pulling out a small bag of coins.

The Madam's eyes glinted with greed as she took the bag from him and counted the coins. "Very well," she said, satisfied with the payment. "Follow me."

She led him down a dimly lit hallway and stopped in front of a small door. "Here we are," she said, unlocking it and opening the door. Inside was a cozy room, dimly lit with candles and adorned with luxurious fabrics.

"Now, what type of companion are you interested in?" the Madam asked, her tone suggestive.

Xane's heart clenched, knowing that he had to play the part convincingly. "Brunette-perhaps—Surprise me," he said, trying to sound nonchalant.

The Madam smiled and nodded, leaving the room momentarily. Xane took a deep breath, trying to calm his nerves.

When the Madam returned, she was accompanied by three women, their faces hidden in shadows. They all wore revealing garments that left little to the imagination. Xane's heart raced as he waited for the moment when he would see Macon among them.

The Madam instructed the women to stand before him, and Xane forced himself to assess each of them carefully, his eyes skimming over their figures and faces. He knew he couldn't show any favoritism; he had to make it seem like he was genuinely interested in any of them.

As he circled the women, his eyes locked with Macon's, and he felt a jolt of electricity pass between them. He could see the uncertainty in her eyes, the flicker of recognition. It took every ounce of his willpower not to reveal himself, to let her know that he was there to save her.

He continued his charade, spending equal time with each woman, trying to keep his emotions in check. The Madam watched him closely, clearly pleased with his interest.

Finally, he stepped back, facing the Madam once more. "I've made my decision," he said, trying to keep his voice steady.

The Madam raised an eyebrow, clearly intrigued. "Oh? And who is the lucky lady?"

Xane took a deep breath, his heart pounding in his chest. "Her," he said, pointing to Macon, praying that she would understand and trust him to play along.

"I see," Madam said cooly as she looked at Macon. "We will have her cleaned and prepared. She will be waiting in your private quarters after the evening meal."

Xane cleared his throat as emotion threatened to overtake him. Had he actually freaking done it?