Chapter 21

"Be careful of this one Anders, she is quite the wild card." Macon spun to a stop at the sound of his voice.
Relief flooded her, seeing him standing in his uniform.
It was all she could do to keep from jumping into his arms.
He was the one that made her relevant here in this place. In this world.
"How are you here?" She asked, trying to hold back the relief from her tone.

At this, a small smile played at the corner of his lips, and his eyes seemed to twinkle in delight. 

"As the Queen's Royal commander, I am required to travel with her.  She has come to Neder, seeking refuge, while the city is under siege."

"Will you be staying here, with us?"

His smile wavered the slightest. "Unfortunately, we are not staying here. The Regent is held up at a neighboring compound, but I am free to visit you during my hours of leisure."

Macon nodded.

"Please forgive me for being so forward, but you look exquisite tonight." The commander's eyes lingered on the sheerness of Macon's dress, and he found that he could not look away.  His insides purred with a primal satisfaction knowing she was to be his.

As Macon allowed her eyes to settle on his, she found a subtle warning there.  A shiver coursed through her veins, and her cheeks flushed with awareness. 

The music took on a more hypnotic tone, and she found herself wanting to press into him if only for a moment. 

And like all good things that come to an end, the moment was broken as that silky smooth voice that she had begun to hate raked across her ears like velvet. 

Macon's blood boiled as her eyes settled on Vosi in her dress that made hers look practically modest.

"Commander, the sight of you in uniform is..." she trailed off as she traced her finger seductively around his neck.

Macon's face morphed into one of rage before Chiss could reach them.

But with his touch, the anger that threatened to spill over at any second was extinguished.

The commander's eyes raked over the hand of his best friend as it lay on the shoulder of his betrothed, and he found it more than unsettling.
He didn't miss how Macon stared up into the eyes of the other man.

And something new sprang forth in him.
Conquest...
If he needed to win Macon then he would.
She, after all, would be his in the end.
One way or another. He promised himself this much.

He hid the anger that now burrowed in his chest and moved away from Vosi and her incessant talking that he hadn't heard a word of.

"Excuse me," he said moving forward.

In one fluid movement, he threaded his arm around Macon's waist pulling her back towards the dance floor.

Surprise was evident in her eyes as he pressed her firmly into his strong body with the palm of his hand that rested low on her back.

His forehead lowered and pressed against hers.

And in that moment she was lost in him.

Forgotten was woman that made her so angry.

Forgotten was Chiss and his games and his electric touch.

This male knew what he wanted.
She could feel it in the sureness of his hold.

And there was nothing like the knowing that above everything else YOU are wanted.

The intensity in his eyes pulled her in and her mouth ached to press against his.

But just as she thought he would kiss her, a devilish smirk broke out across his handsome face.