Ch. 41

The ceiling soared above, resembling an expansive dome of translucent crystal, allowing the gentle glow of the planet's three moons to filter through. The interplay of light and shadow created an ethereal ambiance, casting a surreal aura upon the gathering.

Exotic plants intertwined with the architecture, their vibrant, alien blooms cascading down pillars and alcoves. Their intoxicating fragrance filled the air, mingling with the scent of unfamiliar spices and sweet nectar only added to the splendor around her.

Artifacts meticulously displayed in ornate cases, offered glimpses into the Aturi's past. Precious gemstones, adorned the walls, no doubt precious family heirlooms, their luminescence casting dancing reflections across the room. And somehow this was her home. 

Days turned into weeks as Macon felt hollow on the inside.  Every night was another lavish dinner party as Xane and the rest of the males under his command fought a battle that was keeping them all safe and for what? So they could throw these elaborate parties.  Not a word had been said about their safety or even their whereabouts. Did she even have the right to miss him they way she did? Her heart longed for him for his companionship.

The room filled with the alluring melodies of the live band, their skillful fingers plucking the strings of exotic instruments. The sweet and sultry notes mingled with the animated conversations and laughter that resonated throughout the hall, creating a harmonious symphony that enchanted the senses all while Macon lay sprawled across the chaise in the corner of the room. She'd already had two glasses of the Aturian wine and was now working on her third.

Guests, adorned in elegant attire, mingled with grace and poise. A languid Aturian female perched upon the prince's thigh, her seductive gestures and affections on full display. Macon flenched as the female lick up the side of his neck and left a kiss near his ear. It was a stark reminder of the hollowness that had seeped into Macon's existence, the superficiality of the glittering facade that surrounded her.

As the night wore on, the sounds of the band grew more frenetic, their music intertwining with the clatter of cutlery and the laughter of the revelers. Macon, weary and overwhelmed, her fingers tracing patterns on the rim of her glass as she leaned even further into the cushions. Her shoes forgotten and her legs pulled up to her chest.

"How about a turn about the courtyard?" Anders suggested as he came to sit by her side.

Her mouth became a flat line as she shook her head ever so slightly. "Not tonight." Her voice was barely about a whisper.

"I can't stand the sight of you wasting away." Anders said hesitantly unaware how he should approach his constant worry over this female over these past few weeks. She'd grown inexplicably pale and seemed to have lost weight, her cheeks hollow and her eyes had grown dark.

"I'm fine." She said attempting a smile. It was a pitiful gesture.

"That couldn't be further from the truth." He said raising a brow as if you study her up close.

"I know your heart is heavy— perhaps I know too we'll just how so." His hand rested atop her knee in a gesture of friendship.

He sat beside her in silence now. Not knowing what more he could do to comfort her but also not willing to leave her side. Perhaps just being in her proximity would be enough.

From across the room Chiss sat, hidden behind a wall of plants.  His gaze never leaving her face.  He had done what he could to keep away from her knowing he wouldn't be able to keep his hands from her body if he allowed himself to be so close.

"Tell me what troubles you, my son?" A female voice said as his mother took the seat next to him. 

He leaned back, his gaze studying her face.  She had grown older but she still remained just as beautiful as she had when he'd left with Xane all those rotations ago.  He shook his head and rested his forehead in his palm letting out a defeated groan. 

"This," he lifted his head and gestured to the festivities, "is quite exhausting."

"Perhaps you might find it less daunting if you joined one of the many females in a dance?" She suggested.  "Look at all of the females waiting for someone to simply ask."

Chiss took notice of the line of females that flanked a corner of the dance floor.  They laughed and carried on.  Each was beautiful and dressed to attract a certain station of male.  His face flamed as one of females turned and caught his gaze.  She smiled shyly allowing her pearlescent hair to slip into her eyes.  He considered himself for a moment, but knew if would be rude not to ask her for a dance.