Ch. 62

A pained smile spread across Xane's ruggedly handsome face as he looked up at Macon. Her short hair hung limply over her eyes, a stark reminder of the harrowing journey they had been through. Despite the exhaustion etched on her face, she was still as beautiful as ever.

"How are you feeling?" Her voice sounded unused, the strain of their ordeal evident.

"I've been better," he replied, pushing himself to a sitting position. The pain from his injury quickly halted his movement, but Macon was there, offering her support. With her arm under his, she helped him find a more comfortable position.

Before she could pull away, Xane gently brushed the tufts of hair from her eyes, tucking them behind her ear. The gesture was tender, and she made a face at the awkward length of her hair.

"It will grow back," he said warmly, a reassuring smile on his lips.

"I know," she replied, her voice tinged with a mix of exhaustion and relief. "I've just never had it this short before."

Xane's eyes roamed the medical suite, taking in their surroundings. "I'm not sure how you got us here."

"Chiss," she said his name with a hint of hesitation. "He found us."

Xane nodded, gratitude evident in his eyes. "Remind me to take him out for a night of debauchery once I'm able to move," he said with a light chuckle, knowing that he owed his friend far more than a simple gesture.

Macon's face paled at the suggestion, but Xane quickly reassured her, "Relax, I'm merely joking."

Her lips curved into a smile, relieved by his ability to find humor even now. 

"I want to go home," Xane said, his voice laced with longing and weariness.

"Me too," Macon breathed, a sigh of relief escaping her. They had been through so much, and now they would finally be going home together.  It almost didn't seem real. 

As the transport ship touched down on familiar ground, Macon and Xane exchanged a look filled with a mix of emotions—relief, happiness, and a tinge of disbelief that they had finally made it.

Stepping out of the ship, Macon's eyes filled with tears. Happiness overwhelmed her.
She had finally found what she'd been missing all this time— a home— a family— a place where she belonged.

Anders approached Macon as the rest of the staff and house guests greeted them.

"My friend." He breathed out with a relief that was palpable.

"My friend," Macon smiled and didn't hesitate as she squeezed the male that had become like a brother to her.

As they entered through the main entry they were led to the dining room which had been prepared to feed a small army of people.

As they settled into the dining room, the tantalizing aroma of the feast before them filled the air, and Macon's stomach growled in response. Xane chuckled, a twinkle in his eye. "Hungry, are we?"

"Ravenous!" she admitted with a smile, feeling the warmth of home enveloping her.

The room was soon abuzz with conversation and laughter, the atmosphere alive with joy and camaraderie. Friends, family, and loyal staff had gathered to welcome them back, and Macon felt a sense of belonging she had never experienced before.

Before the nights end, Anders and his mother were shuttled to Capitol City where they had business to attend to as Anders has stated.  Macon wondered on what it might be, but felt it would be rude to ask since they hadn't offered the information on their own. 

After the feast, Xane and Macon retreated to the comfort of their private rooms, the familiarity of the space soothing to their tired souls. As they lay together, spent, their bodies glistening from the efforts of their passion, Macon realized that this was where she belonged—with Xane, in his arms.

He traced her jawline and brought her face to his in a kiss that was so full of love and longing her body trembled.

His eyes met hers and it was if their very souls spoke to one another in a moment that was beyond her comprehension.

"I love you," he whispered, his voice raw with emotion in this profound moment of surrender.

Macon looked into his eyes, her heart swelling with love for the man before her. "And I love you," she replied, her voice steady and unwavering.

In that moment, they knew that they had found their home in each other. The journey had been arduous, filled with trials and tribulations, but it had brought them here—to a place of love, happiness, and a future filled with hope.

Their story was far from over, but in that moment, they were content, knowing that whatever lay ahead, they would face it together. Their love was strong, and they were home.