Ch 31

Macon's eyes opened with much effort.  Her head swam and throbbed with each beat of her heart. 

She let out a low groan. 

"You're awake." A drowsy voice said from beside her. 

In a chair, propped in the corner of the dimly lit room sat Chiss. 

"Yea," She said feeling like her tongue was made of sandpaper.  "Is there something I can drink?" 

"Oh, yea..." Chiss said standing quickly and moving towards her.  He grabbed a cup beside the bed and helped her take a sip. 

It was overly thick and sweet and reminded her of pear juice, but it went down smoothly. 

She took a moment to assess the unfamiliar space.  "Where are we?" 

She wasn't sure how she'd ended up in this room when she had been in a room full of injured people only a short time before. 

"You're the Commander of the Regent's intended— you have a private room." Chiss said in a duh-tone.

When she'd leaned back against the headboard, she remembered Chiss's brother.  "Is Anders okay?"  

"He's fine." Chiss assured her, and Macon allowed herself to relax again. 

"Good," she mumbled.  "And..... is there any word from Xane?" 

Chiss knew that she hadn't meant to hurt him with her concern for her intended, but it stung all the same. 

"No word from them at present, but I'm sure he is fine."

She nodded and pressed her palm against her head.  "My head is killing me."

He stood without hesitation. 
"I will alert a medic."

Within a few minutes, a female Aturian entered holding a small injection. 

Macon winced at the sight of it, but welcomed the  relief that she hoped it would bring. 

"I'll let you rest." Chiss said standing and walking out of the room. 

Macon nodded, allowing the nurse to perform the injection. 

A coolness spread through her, and she welcomed the relief. 

She studied the room and suddenly her eyes caught sight of a band around her wrist. 

She twisted it- studying the Aturian words that were imprinted into the material and wondered at them. 

********************************************
When Macon had rested all that she intended to, she stood slowly. 

She looked down at the thin navy jumpsuit that hugged her form tightly and took a deep breath. 

She struggled with the fact that it clung to her in all the wrong places, but knew she would be far more useful out there than laying here in the bed.

She was completely fine. 

Once outside of her room, she took an immediate  left seeing the cots of people in the distance. 

The hallway was short, and she gasped when she was able to see the extent of room.  

Hundreds of injured Aturians and human females littered every available space. 

Pained sounds and low moans rang out in every direction. 

Chiss came to her as he saw her. "Macon why are you-"

She held a hand up, cutting him off.  "I'm fine... tell me what to do.  I can help."

"Okay," Chiss nodded in understanding. 

She had finally found her groove when Xane appeared in the doorway holding a small child. 

The sight of him holding the child so gently shot a pang of admiration through her chest.

Macon rushed to him. 

It was all she could do not to fling herself against him as soon as she reached him. 

She looked at the little girl in his arms.  She was dirty and was a little worse for wear but otherwise seemed to be okay.  "And who is this precious angel?"   Macon asked reaching for the child. 

The child went to Macon easily and Xane let out a  breath.  "This is Kenna.  She is one of the few children born from a human-Aturian pairing."

Macon couldn't help but study her unique features and wondered if this was what a child that she might one day have with Xane would look like. 

The little girl lay her head against Macon's chest and closed her eyes.

Macon studied her until tiny breathy sounds of sleep seeped from the child's mouth. 

"And Kenna's parents?" Macon whispered. 

Xane's lips formed a tight line, and he shook his head. 

A whimper that she hadn't expected burst from her mouth, and she shook as a few tears trailed down her face. 

"What will they do with her?"   Macon finally asked when she'd gotten her emotions under control.

"We will look for next of kin, but until then- I'd like to keep her close. Perhaps-" he started and shook his head.

"Of course," Macon said in understanding. "She can stay with me until we find the rest of her family."

"