Ch. 38

She'd done the unthinkable.

And for what?

For one moment with him.

The memory of his wild hair and swollen lips flashed to her mind and da*n if her traitorous heart didn't flutter at the thought.

The clatter of dishes falling to ground alerted her to a presence behind her.

Enez knelt picking up the shattered pieces. "Forgive me— my lady."

Macon knelt grasping Enez bloodied hand. "You're bleeding. Let me take care of this and see to your injury."

"I could not." Enez said.

"Dispose of what you've gathered, and I will see to the rest." Macon's eyes narrowed on the droplets that fell to the ground leaving a dark purple puddle.

Enez finally nodded, and Macon wasted no time gathering the pieces into a canister that sat atop a side table. Perhaps not the best way to dispose of the mess, but the guests would be entering the dining area all too soon.

Using one of the extra cloths from the table she used her heel to mop up the blood.

The slightest amount staining the hem of her evening gown, but she couldn't bring herself to care.

A numbness had settled over her.

She had done nothing to deserve the finery that encircled her and that was draped over her body.

She hurried to dispose of the mess in the kitchen and stopped on the other side of the door as she heard talking from the other room.

"Yes- you will stay with her as I am gone."

"I belong with the fleet."

"You will do what I command you."

After a long pause- the voice finally relented. "As you wish."

Macon bristled as she knew what she'd heard.

"I leave at first light."

"Does she know?"

"I have yet to inform my bonded of my intents."

Enez turned on the water, and Macon jumped.

Her eyes met Enez's stern glare.

"Lady, your guests have begun filing into the dining area."

Plastering a smile, Macon rushed to the other room.

The prince took her hand between his and began speaking—"I am at your service." This act of reverence left Macon speechless and she simply nodded in understanding before she moved to the next guest.

"Antephony- my bonded and Antrious, our youngest." The Aturian soldier said. "Kelph is already stationed at the main city centre— helping with the final sweep."

"Thank you for your service. I will do my best to care for your family." He nodded in understanding as Macon spoke in departure.

Anders stood with his mother. Macon dipped her head at the sight of them.

As she allowed her gaze to fall on Anders, she wished she hadn't. Her mind begged him for forgiveness. It was a moment of weakness she wanted to shout as his eyes laid blame. Could everyone see her sins so plainly. Were they written across her face? It certainly felt that way.

"Are you feeling well?" Anders' mother asked as her brows furrowed.

Snapping back to reality she nodded too fervently. "Excuse me."

Her steps echoed down the dining hall as she made her way to the interior garden.

Her breaths came in pants as she pressed her hand to her chest. Guilt strangled her. Blankly she stared at the water feature that sprinkled her with tiny droplets and tiny birds that flitted around the room— but she saw nothing.

Until his face was again taking up the recesses of her mind. Thoughtlessly, she pounded down on the rough stone of the water feature. The pain- the only thing to bring her back to present.

"Darling?" His voice sent a shock though her body and felt as though she'd been caught committing the act itself. Her face was splotched with red as she turned to look at him.

She hadn't known she was crying. Angry tears burned her cheeks.

He rushed to her, but she couldn't meet his eyes.