Ch.35

Macon stood breathlessly as her eyes surveyed the embankment beyond Xane's estate.

Winding down through the boulders, Macon could see a chiseled stairwell.

"He will be awaiting you at the bottom," Amrith said with a curt nod that seemed to push Macon ahead although her apprehension hovered in the air around her. 

She filled her lungs and let out a ragged breath as she lifted the beaded hem of her dress. 

She took the first step and found a steely flame of resolve in the pit of her stomach.  

This strange world was now her home, and this male would now be hers. 

Each step sealed her fate as she drew nearer to the base. 

The sound of her heels as they struck the ground echoed through the evening.  

Finally reaching the bottom, Macon tucked a wild  strand behind her ear and straightened her dress. 

The mouth of a large cavern stood before her now. 

Inside, blue flames dancing along the walls promising a moment that was taking on a life of its own. 

Macon walked hesitantly now as she continued through the tunnel. 

Her pulse thrummed in her ears. 

Was it Xane that waited at the end or something else?

Just as she thought she might turn around, tiny white buds of flowering plants littered the path in front of her. 

Her steps quickened in anticipation. 

The trickling of water grew louder as she continued. 

Around a bend stood a sight that steeled Macon to her core. 

She didn't know what took her breath.

Was it the waterfall that fell to its death and was extinguished as it danced among the unrelenting flames at its base, or Xane as he stood ever as imposing as the sight behind him. 

Her mouth fell slack as her feet continued towards him. 

His shirtless body was tattooed with a bioluminescent paint. 

Tribal markings trailed over the plains of his bare chest and strong arms. 

Macon's body thrummed to life in reaction. 

His eyes surveyed her with a reverence moments before flashing to something dark and wanting. 

She trembled when he bit his bottom lip and winced as though he could feel the desire that had flooded her. 

The prince stepped into view and cleared his throat.

"Let's get to it then." His tone was playful, but Macon was slightly taken aback by his sudden appearance. 

A puff of nervous laughter drifted past her supple lips.   

The prince extended a hand to Macon, and she came closer.  

He took her hand delicately and placed it in Xane's. 

Her breath stuttered as they made contact. 

Her traitorous eyes landed on the band of his pants and drifted over every bare inch of perfection that was his body. 

She longed to trail a finger over the markings.

Subconsciously, she licked at her lips as she as her eyes finally managed to meet his. 

The pupils of his eyes seemed to flash something like a primal hunger and a pit of vipers strung to life in her gut. 

She was so caught up in Xane as if it were the first time she'd ever seen him.  She almost didn't hear the prince as he spoke. 

"My body is yours as yours is now mine." Xane said repeating the words the prince had just uttered. His palm came to rest over Macon's beating heart.  A knowing smile danced in his eyes. 

Xane nodded at her and she realized she was supposed to be doing something. 

Her hand flew to his exposed chest before she had a moment to second guess her actions. 

His skin caused tingles to erupt from her palm.  She nearly pulled her hand away but held it in place and repeated the words she'd heard him say. 

"My body is yours and yours is mine."   Her voice sounded small and foreign in her ears. 

More words were spoken, but she flew through them as if merely creeping through a dream until the prince pulled a bright red bar from the flames. 

Macon winced, but Xane wrapped an arm around her. 

In one hand, the prince extended a shell of what looked like the same bioluminescent paint the covered Xane's body. 

Xane took the shell and dipped a finger in the paint. 

The prince began to speak in the Aturian tongue and Xane trailed a single finger over Macon's hands and arms.

Goosebumps sprung up all along her skin as the contact was tortuous and sensual all at once.  He took his time as the last stroke trailed across the exposed flesh just over her heart. 

Xane knelt down now facing his prince and lowered his head.  Then he extended his hand at his side and somehow Macon knew to kneel beside him. 

The sizzle of flesh and the slight pull from Xane's hand had Macon's eyes shooting open just in time to see the prince stepping away from Xane and headed towards her with the fire hot bar. 

She slammed her eyes shut and braced for impact. 

It only stung for a moment. 

The prince clapped his and excited laughter burst from his mouth. 

"Now that formalities are out of the way.  Commander I do hope you will both enjoy your evening."

The prince nodded and Xane returned the gesture before he walked out without another word.

When he was out of sight, a relieved burst of laughter came from somewhere deep Macon's chest. 
"So that's it?" She breathed hoarsely as a tear of release fell from her eyes.

Xane tilted his head as he allowed his gaze to trail over her with a sense of awe. 

"Well, not quite—all." He said as a devious smirk caressed his mouth.

Author Lady here..... I hope you've enjoyed reading "When They Come" —