Ch. 44

Xane

Xane and his dwindling fleet found themselves trapped within the confines of the Defortu rebel base. The tides of battle had turned against them, leaving them outnumbered and outmaneuvered. As their weapons fell silent, the rebels closed in, seizing victory in their grasp.

The rebel leader, a figure of commanding presence, stood before Xane, a triumphant smirk etched across his face. His voice dripped with arrogance as he taunted Xane. "Well, well, Xane. Look at you, the mighty Aturian commander, finally brought down to size. How's it feel to be on the losing end?"

Xane met the rebel leader's gaze with defiance, his own arrogance refusing to be overshadowed. "Don't get too comfortable in your moment of glory. This is just a temporary setback. The true strength of the Aturians will prevail."

The rebel leader chuckled mockingly, his voice oozing with superiority. "Strength? That's cute, Xane. But let's face it, you're on the wrong side of history. We fight for power, for control, for keeping the humans where they belong—as our servants."

Xane's eyes flashed with defiance, his voice laced with a touch of contempt. "Your narrow-minded vision will only bring chaos and destruction. True strength comes from unity, from recognizing the potential that exists within all beings, regardless of their species."

The rebel leader, a sinister grin spreading across his face, leaned in closer to Xane. His voice dripped with malicious intent as he taunted him. "Ah, Xane, I hear that even you've taken one of the humans as your bonded. What a pity. Although, I hear from my sources she's quite the pretty little thing."

Xane's eyes blazed with anger and a mixture of protectiveness and indignation surged within him. He snarled back at the rebel leader, his voice laced with venom. "You leave her out of this."

The rebel leader's grin widened, finding sadistic pleasure in Xane's reaction. "Oh, touchy, are we? Well, it's a shame, really. I have plans to reunite the two of you sooner than you'd think."

Fury coursed through his veins. He clenched his fists, his voice sharp with contempt. "You piece of..." Xane said struggling against the shackles that bound him.

The other male laughed, head thrown back in delight. "Yes, in deed, I think I should like to have a taste for myself—Perhaps, if the tales of her exquisite beauty are to be believed.

Xane's rage reached its boiling point, his face contorting with a mix of anger and disgust. He strained against his restraints, a primal growl escaping his lips. "If you so much as touch her, I will tear you apart piece by piece."

The rebel leader's laughter echoed through the air, an eerie melody that only fueled Xane's fury. He relished in the power he held over his captive, reveling in the discomfort he caused. "Oh, come now, Xane. Don't tell me you'd keep her all to yourself."

Xane's eyes blazed with a mixture of fury and desperation. "You will never lay a finger on her."

The rebel leader's grin widened, the gleam in his eyes twisted with malice. "We'll see about that. Perhaps I'll take her here, before you, and show you just how powerless you truly are."

Every fiber of Xane's being screamed with the need to strike back, to wipe the mocking grin off the rebel leader's face. To protect Macon at every cost.

With a deep breath, Xane mustered his defiance, his voice dripping with determination. "You underestimate her."

The rebel leader's laughter rang out once more, a hollow sound that reverberated through the air. "We shall see, Xane. We shall see. But for now, savor the knowledge that she is in my grasp, while you remain powerless to save her."

As the rebel leader walked away, his triumphant steps echoed in the silence, leaving Xane seething with anger and a renewed sense of purpose.