Ch. 61

As Chiss stood by Xane's bedside, a tumultuous storm raged within him. Seeing Macon tending to Xane's wounds with such unwavering care ignited a mix of emotions – love, envy, and heartache all rolled into one. He had loved her from the moment they met, and now, he had to confront his feelings head-on.

Summoning his courage, he approached Macon when they finally had a moment alone. "Can we talk, just the two of us?" His voice was tinged with vulnerability.

Macon's eyes met his, filled with concern and confusion, but she nodded silently. Together, they moved to a secluded corner of the room.

Chiss took a deep breath, his heart pounding in his chest. "I need to be honest with you," he began, trying to steady his voice. "I've loved you since the moment we met, and it hurts that I can never have you.  But seeing how much you love him, and the way he cherishes you I can just stand it.  If he were a lesser man I would never back away. I would fight for you until their was nothing left of my heart.  But this," he motioned between the two of them. "cannot be.  I have been the worst kind of male, but know that it was out of love."

Tears glistened in Macon's eyes, and Chiss's resolve wavered. He wiped the tears gently with the pads of his thumbs before he continued, "We've been through so much together, and you mean everything to me. But I can't let my feelings stand in the way of the future you deserve."

Her voice quivered as she replied, "I don't want to lose you, Chiss."

His heart broke at her words, but he knew he had to do what was right for both of them. "You won't lose me," he assured her, his voice gentle. "I'll always be here for you, no matter what. But I need to step back and figure things out. Give my own heart time to heal.  To let you go— if that's even possible. But I have to try."

Macon nodded, her eyes filled with understanding and sadness. "I'll miss you," she whispered.

Chiss forced a smile, masking the pain in his heart. He nodded as he rubbed his thumb over her bottom lip.  The ache of longing welling inside him was almost too much to bare. 

As he turned to leave, this own resolve broke as tears escaped down his cheeks. He looked down as his steps carried him further away — every step confirming that he was a man of honor. A man that was strong enough to do what was right for the woman he loved.  At the base of his love was a desire to do what was best for Macon and he knew without a doubt it was for him to walk away, so he did. 

Once out of the medical suite, Chiss straightened his posture, a renewed sense of purpose coursing through him. With new resolve, he strode forward, his steps leading him toward his duty.

The Regent loomed before him, a symbol of both order and chaos. Cadet Toma's voice rang out, addressing him as the Acting Commander. Chiss nodded in greeting as he walked through the bustling lobby, his thoughts already consumed by the tasks at hand.

The debris of the recent turmoil was tidied, but the scars of the past were still evident. Chiss surveyed the space around him, witnessing the soldiers working tirelessly to rebuild their world. Determination etched into every face, they were united in their goal to protect and preserve their home.

Entering the Commander's personal office, Chiss glanced at the notes that awaited him on the desk. Before he could fully immerse himself in the paperwork, Darten knocked and entered. "I hope the Commander is well," he said.

Chiss nodded, his thoughts drifting back to Xane's bedside. "He is still resting, but a full recovery is expected," he replied.

Darten seemed relieved by the news before shifting to a pressing matter. "What are we to do with the females collected from the raid?"

Images of the terrified faces of the captured women flashed in Chiss's mind, and he took a moment to consider their plight. "How many are without a male to provide for their needs?" he inquired.

"Two have been returned to soldiers stationed at Fereo, and one remains here at Capital City. That leaves seven unclaimed females."

Chiss made a swift decision, his mind already set on action. "Set up a claiming for tonight," he ordered, unwavering in his resolve.

Darten retrieved a small tablet from his satchel, his next question tinged with concern. "There is a female who is with child. Do you wish her to participate in the claiming?"

A wave of memories crashed over Chiss, reminding him of the promise he had made in the dark of night to a dying rebel soldier. Without hesitation, he knew what he had to do. "I will sign her papers," he declared firmly, the weight of responsibility heavy on his shoulders.

Darten seemed taken aback by the decision, but Chiss silenced any objections with a raised hand. "It's what will be done," he stated firmly, resolute in his commitment to do what was right.