TWO

light me another

"I take it you're the cause for that girl running out of here in tears?" Dru asked with a slight smile, in her attempt to be funny.

"Yeah." He smirked back, looking down at the cigarette in his hand.

"She seemed pretty pissed, what'd you do?" She asked again, and he for some reason, wasn't as annoyed with her questioning than he usually would have been.

"Didn't give her what she wanted, I suppose." He shrugged, inhaling the smoke. Dru nodded, before looking to her feet and back through the smokey haze.

"So, you just moved in right? Haven't really seen you around before." She continued the conversation. He looked around, curious as to why she was insistent to talking with him. He always kept his guard up, but she seemed innocent enough to not be a spy or a part of the Potter alliance. And it couldn't hurt to just play nice for a bit, especially if he'd be here for a while.

"Yeah, uh, came here for work." He lied somewhat. It wasn't totally a lie, but it wasn't like he was getting paid for his services to the dark lord.

"Ah, and what is it that you do?" She continued to pry, and he finally became irritated just a bit. He hated answering questions. But for some reason, he still decided to answer, even if it were just another lie.

"I'm a P.I. Can't really go into too much detail about it." He told her. This was a decent cover for him, usually because if people found out he was a private investigator, they knew to shut up with the questions. She nodded, feeling a bit invasive for being curious, but she just enjoyed good conversations with people. She was definitely an extrovert, always trying to make friends with whoever she could. Mostly because everyone had stories, and she loved hearing them. We all lived such different lives and it was enticing. Why waste your life not getting to know how everyone lives theirs? "Do you, uh, live here?" He now asked, as she perked up, thrilled that he was continuing with the conversation.

"Oh, no. My friend does though, so I'm here a lot more than I probably should be." She smiled to herself. He felt a little relieved. He didn't want to know the people in this building. He didn't want to make connections on a personal level with anyone, considering once he left, he'd never be back. And there was no point in making friends, especially with the darkness surrounding his life. "I live uh, over by the museum off Madison Avenue. I work there actually."

"What do you do?" He found himself asking. He was a bit conflicted because yes, he had no desire to get to know anyone, but something about her seemed different. Maybe it was just the nicotine and the three whiskey sours he drank just over an hour ago. Or maybe it was just the fact that she was the first girl to not flirt with him, which may have made his ego hurt a little.

"I'm an assistant to the curator. Manage her meetings, take calls, stuff like that." She continued, as he nodded in response. She went back to feeling annoying by her talking. As much as she loved people, she really felt like a nuisance with how she always insisted on talking to them. Social anxiety, I suppose.

"Dru, you coming in?" The sound of a chipper voice came from the entrance door, and the two of them looked to see a tall redheaded man, with just his head poking outside the door.

"Yeah, sorry." She responded, ashing the cigarette into the smokers outpost, as the guy looked between her and Draco, curiously, and then he went back inside. "It was uh, nice talking to you, Draco. I'm sure I'll see you around?"

"Yeah, you too." He said back. She stopped for a moment, feeling generous, and reached back into her pocket.

"Oh, and uh, for your troubles." She handed him the rest of her pack, and he looked at it, hesitant and surprised. "Don't worry, I have another pack in my purse, so it's no biggie." She smiled at him, and he finally smiled back at her in return. Taking it, she then went back in, and down the hall to her friends door. She walked in to see him seated on the couch, pouring himself a glass of whiskey.