TWENTY SEVEN

the key

"When your mother was pregnant with you, she had been experimenting with spells. It was a part of her profession, as she always had been coming up with new ways of doing things and trying to invent all sorts of stuff. Well, a few weeks before your due date in May of 1981, a spell backfired, blowing up. It was a huge explosion and she had to be rushed to St Mungo's. It's a magical hospital where your father worked as a healer. This whole ordeal was kept very under wraps. Only a handful of people knew, one of them being Albus Dumbledore. The Hogwarts professor." Hermione glared over at Draco, but Dru was fully engrossed in the story to even notice. "You were fine. Even though she had to have an emergency c-section. But you were fine. It didn't take too many years for them to figure out that you actually possessed some qualities that no other witch or wizard ever had. You were able to produce and control things without a wand. Doing wandless magic was just the least of all, because some powerful wizards do acquire that ability. But, Dru, you possess something much stronger." Hermione stopped, as Dru inched closer, wanting to know more.

"Spit it out, Granger. You've made it this far." Draco snickered, as Hermione glared at him, before looking back to Dru, taking in a deep breath.

"You have the ability to completely absorb someone else's magic and turn it against them." Dru stared at her, confused. It went quiet for a moment, before Hermione spoke again. "You're practically the ultimate weapon." She shook her head, still in disbelief of it all, herself. Dru, was even more taken back, as her vision went a little blurry and her mind was attempting to make sense of it all. She was trying so hard to remember, but she just wasn't able to.

"Why can't I remember anything?" She asked, wiping away the tear from her eye.

"Spells can still be used on you. And your mother was one hell of a witch. That spell she was working on was to actually use in the first wizarding war, before the Potter's were murdered. She was trying to make it so they could destroy the dark lord. But after that, she stopped messing around with spells, to ensure your safety." Hermione reached into her satchel, pulling out a page from the book that Dru had read when she was first taken. It was the missing page. "It's all written down here. This is why we wanted to keep you safe with us. Because Dru, you could be the key to destroying the dark lord and ending this nightmare we've all endured." Dru took the page, and scanned over it quickly, seeing everything that Hermione had said was right. Tears were fully streaming down her cheeks as she crumpled the page and dropped it, stepping back a few steps.

"You lied to me." Dru snapped at her. "I mean, Draco, I can't blame because he had no fucking idea, but you all at the safe house lied to me. You withheld possibly one of the most important things I could know about myself and you didn't tell me!" She screamed at her. "I mean, the lightning hitting that tree, me somehow magically knocking out Fred—,"

"You took out a Weasley?" Draco interrupted with a wide smirk.

"It all happened because while you were trying to get me to float a fucking feather, you ceased to tell me that I didn't even need a wand to begin with! I can literally harness the fucking elements in the palm of my hands like Avatar and you lied to me!" Dru was furious. Hermione grew a little worried for what could happen, now that Dru knew everything and had no clue how to control it. She was a ticking time bomb, and Hermione finally realized they went about this all the wrong ways.

"I'm so sorry, Dru. We didn't want to bombard you with all this information at once. And we wanted you to be able to do simple magic first, before trying the harder stuff."

"No! You just didn't want me to have leverage over all of you! If I'm the key to taking out this infamous dark lord, you need me. Not the other way around. So don't get it twisted, love. You've all been using me as a weapon as you've practically already called me, and I wont let that happen." She crossed her arms, pacing the room frantically. Draco remained magically bound to the chair, fighting the urge to smile. He felt sorry that she was in pain, but he was beyond happy that she held this much power over all of them. "You say I'm the answer to destroying him, right?"

"Y—yes." Hermione gulped, fearing this outcome.

"Alright, so you need me now more than ever." Dru stated, glancing at Draco, who now was visibly smirking at her. Hermione took notice to that. "I'll help you. But, you'll need to let my friends go. And they'll be with me. No matter what."

"Dru, I can't do that—,"

"Those are my terms and conditions. You don't want to do that, then I'll figure out how to get them out of here and do the damn thing myself." Dru snapped at her, no longer fearing anyone.

"Dru, these people are dangerous." Hermione went up to her, trying to convince her not to do this.

"Yeah, and so am I. So if you want to utilize my powers and resume life of peace and harmony, you'll do as I say. No exceptions." Dru shrugged, watching Hermione go over everything in her head.

"I'll uh, be right back." Hermione coughed, leaving the room. Dru crouched down before Draco, grabbing onto his hand, and staring up into his grey eyes.

"I'm going to get you all out of here."

"I know you will." He smiled. "But might I just say, that— was brilliant." She laughed at this. The two of them could hear muffled arguing from behind the door and she knew it was about her demands. But she didn't care. She knew they'd make the right choice.

When the door finally clicked open after what felt like 30 minutes, Hermione, along with a guard, entered in. Ginny glared from the doorway, furiously. As Dru stood to her feet, the guard went over to Draco, waving his wand and the magical bonds disappeared. "I thank you kindly, good sir." He mocked, standing himself up, but wobbling over to the left. Dru caught him, wrapping his arm around her shoulder, supporting his weight.

"The others are being released right now. But Dru," Hermione caught her attention, "if any of them try to leave without being authorized, members of the PA will do what needs to be done to stop them, understood?"

"This is bullshit." Dru could her Ginny grumble, as she walked off in a fit of anger. "We finally fucking had them." She could hear her exclaim from outside the room.

"Yes. They won't. I can assure you that." Dru vouched for them. She didn't know if they would, but she liked to believe they'd stay in line. For not only their sake, but hers as well. Dru led Draco to the front room, and helped him sit in the chair so they could wait for the others. Theo came out first, winking at one of the guards and then swaggering over to Draco and Dru's side.

"Jesus, you're apparently a powerful woman, Dru berry." Theo joked, giving her a quick hug. Dru hugged him back, happy to feel comfortable within the arms of friends she somewhat knew.
Blaise was next, walking to them as if he wasn't phased by any of the torture he had endured. His demeanor was unchanged and he looked healthy as a horse. Clearly, he had been used to this sort of thing.

And then Pansy came out. She didn't even look at her other friends, she only ran to Dru with a big hug.

"I know you don't remember shit, but it's good to have my best friend back." She whispered in Dru's ear. The four of them collected themselves, standing from their seats and waiting for their time to leave. Even though they knew they'd be going to the safe house, it was better than here.

"Dru," Hermione continued on, approaching the five of them. "I might know a way to jog your memory. But it's not easy."

"No." Draco spoke in a hardened tone, already knowing what this possible solution was.

"Malfoy, do you want your girlfriends memories back or not?" Hermione rolled her eyes.

"She would have had them back, had you lot not kidnapped her before I was able to give her the bloody potion!" He scoffed at her.

"Well, it happened. And now we're kind of at our last resort."

"I'm not letting her go through that. It's not even proven to always work, Granger." Draco spat, holding onto Dru's shoulder tightly.

"What is it?" Dru interrupted.

"Dru, no." Draco muttered to her, but she ignored him.

"Hermione, what is it?"

"It requires a form of torture." Hermione said, not liking the sound of the idea herself, but wanting to help get Dru's memories back, because the sooner she did, the sooner they could end this seven year nightmare.