TWENTY THREE

lightning strikes

Dru lay in the bed, staring up at the ceiling. She hadn't been able to sleep, and all she could think about were those photos. Draco and her were together. It made so much sense, but also made absolutely none at all. This was horrifying. As much as she found her life boring and wished for some excitement, she had realized that this was just too much excitement and she'd rather go back to her everyday normal life. She still was trying to comprehend everything she thought she knew about herself. She only knew her name as Drusilla Scott. Who was Ophelia Pierce? She knew it was her, but she wasn't sure if that's what she'd go by now. No, she couldn't. She doesn't know Ophelia Pierce. She doesn't have her memories or remember her life. All she knows is Dru. Plain old muggle Dru.

The door unlocking caused her to jump up and look over to see Hermione entering in with a plate of food. "I figured you were hungry." She smiled, kindly. Dru didn't trust her. Hermione stepped forward, walking the tray to her and sitting beside her on the bed. "How are you feeling?"

"Peachy." Dru's defense mechanism was always sarcasm. That's one thing her and Ophelia had in common.

"I'm sorry we haven't been the best of hosts." Hermione's smile faded.

"Oh, you mean locking me in a room with a window I can't even see out of and not being able to leave if I wanted to, makes you a bad host? No." Dru's sarcasm was fully coming through now.

"Oph— Dru, it's for your safety. We're doing this to protect you. You have to understand that."

"Do I now?" Dru's eyes pierced into her like needles. "I feel like maybe I should be allowed to make my own choices on where I want to be and you're kind of taking that right away from me. On top of that, I don't even know any of you!"

"But you do!" Hermione insisted. "We've known you since we were children, Dru."

"Exactly. You've known me. I dont know you." Dru insisted, creating a valid point. Hermione went silent for a moment. She stared at the girl she once called a friend, and felt this existential fear for what could happen to her.

"You're safer here with us, Dru." Hermione insisted and Dru scoffed at her. "Draco Malfoy is no good to anyone."

"Oh, please, spare me." Dru muttered, rolling her eyes.

"No, Dru. Do you even know of the things he's done? The people he's killed? He's a murderer, Dru. He killed some of our close friends, people you once knew. All because he works for a terrible man who killed my best friend!" Hermione was getting upset, and Dru could see that. But Dru already knew some of this. But she also knew that he had no choice. "He's vile and he's cruel. And he'll turn on you the second he gets the chance."

Dru couldn't take it anymore, her head was hurting and her heart was pounding against her chest. Lunging up from the bed, she ran to the door and quickly realized Hermione hadn't locked it. She began to run, and she made it to the side door she had seen last night, and then bolted to it. Running as fast as her legs could carry her, she made her way outside into the rainstorm. She looked around, only to see they were in the middle of nowhere. She had nowhere to run, and nowhere to hide. She was trapped here with these people who call themselves her friend, but she didn't know them. They weren't her friends. Her friends were back in New York, probably wondering where the hell she was.

Rain soaked her clothes as thunder boomed over her. In a panic, she kept looking around in circles. The safe house she was hidden in, was disguised as a large willow tree. She couldn't understand anything anymore. She couldn't fully process any of this. The images were flooding her mind of the photographs. Draco and her were dating years ago. Pansy was her best friend. And her parents were pureblooded wizards. Her life as she knew it was just a full on lie. Dru couldn't take it anymore, as a bloodcurdling scream escaped her lips and she dropped to her knees. Just then, lightning stroke a tree just ahead of her, causing it to collapse to the ground. Sobs came from her now, as she sat on her knees in the pouring rain. Who was she?