TWENTY NINE

a beautiful past life

"Ophelia," the voice began, as her eyes looked ahead at the castle wall. She looked down at her outfit to see she was wearing a torn green and silver sweater, with a pair of dark jeans and black boots. Her hands were dirty and sweat and blood were dripping down her forehead. "Ophelia?" The voice asked again, and she turned to see her mother approaching.

"Mum— what're you doing here?" She asked.

"We need to go, my love." Her mothers sweet voice pleaded, sounding panicked and scared.

"I can't leave my friends, mother." Ophelia told her, standing her ground.

"Oh, sweetheart, you have to." Her mother grabbed onto her arm and began to pull her down the corridor.

"Mother, no! I can't leave them! They need me!" She begged, trying to pull away.

"I cannot let you sacrifice yourself, Ophelia. You must come with me." Dru's mother demanded, as she began to weep.

"Mum, I have to stay with them. I have to fight. I can win this! Harry may be the chosen one, but if all else fails, I can end this war!" Ophelia tried to explain, But her mothers wand was now in view as she began to cast a spell. "Please, mum, I don't care if I die, I need to help." And then silence.

Dru jolted up from the bed she had been lying in and breathed heavily, grabbing at her head. Draco was now woken up from her panic and grabbed onto her hand, reassuring everything was alright. "Hey, it's okay, I'm right here." He told her. She looked to him, extending her arms and hugging him around the neck. "You're alright, my love." He said into her neck.

"I had a dream, at least I think it was a dream." She said with a deep breath. Draco looked to her, inching slightly closer.

"Are you alright?" He didn't know what to ask.

"It was my mother. We were at what I presume to be Hogwarts and I was wearing this green and silver sweater. My hands were dirty and I felt exhausted. She was begging me to come with her and I kept protesting, telling her that I had to stay with my friends and help you. She pulled out a wand and then I... just woke up." Draco's face looked worried. She had her first memory of her life before the obliviation, and that means that somehow the torture method worked. He leaned back in the chair, not knowing whether to appear happy, or nervous about this revelation. "What?" Dru asked.

"That was a uh, memory, actually. That's what you saw right before your mother obliviated you and apparated to America." He rubbed his head, god, his head hurt a lot these days.

"So it somewhat worked." Dru sighed. He nodded slightly. "Alright, well, I'm hydrated and feeling much better, so let's get to it—," she began to get up but Draco stopped her.

"No!" He demanded. "You're not doing that again. You could have died, Drusilla." That was her first time hearing her full name come out of his mouth. And she knew he was serious.

"Draco, don't you want me to remember?" She asked, inching closer to him.

"Of course I do. But I'm not going through that again. We will get the potion or I'll figure out a new one. But for now, you're just going to have to deal with it." He sighed, looking at his hands, sadly.

"You're awake!" A voice chirped from the doorway and the two turned to see Susan approaching, happily. "I'm relieved. It's been a stressful night."

"Night? How long was I out for?" Dru asked.

"13 hours. But not to worry, you seemed to have made a full recovery, we just wanted you to get some rest." Susan smiled, handing her a glass of water, which Dru accepted gratefully.